selecting a node based on partial names

Amit

I have a quick question. Given test XML:

<root>
<ns1:sub>1</ns1:sub>
<ns2:sub>2</ns2:sub>
<ns3:sub>3</ns3:sub>
</root>

is there a way to select all nodes that contain the word "sub". (Due
to namespace constraints, I will be getting the subnodes as <ns1:sub>,
<ns2:sub> and so on.)

regards,
Amit.

Scott Stearns

Amit said:
I have a quick question. Given test XML:

<root>
<ns1:sub>1</ns1:sub>
<ns2:sub>2</ns2:sub>
<ns3:sub>3</ns3:sub>
</root>

is there a way to select all nodes that contain the word "sub". (Due
to namespace constraints, I will be getting the subnodes as <ns1:sub>,
<ns2:sub> and so on.)

regards,
Amit.

You can use the XPath function 'contains' to search for 'sub' within the
element names.

For this XML:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="sub.xsl"?>
<root>
<ns1:sub>1</ns1:sub>
<ns2:sub>2</ns2:sub>
<ns3:sub>3</ns3:sub>
<ns1:nomatch>1</ns1:nomatch>
<ns2:nomatch>2</ns2:nomatch>
<ns3:nomatch>3</ns3:nomatch>
</root>

The following XSL transformation selects those 'sub' elements:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
version="1.0">
<xsl:template match="/root">
<xsl:for-each select="*">
<xsl:if test="contains(name(.),'sub')">
<h2><xsl:value-of select="name(.)"/></h2>
</xsl:if>
</xsl:for-each>
</xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Hopefully that is what you were looking for. Have fun!
-Scott

Patrick TJ McPhee

%
% <root>
% <ns1:sub>1</ns1:sub>
% <ns2:sub>2</ns2:sub>
% <ns3:sub>3</ns3:sub>
% </root>
%
% is there a way to select all nodes that contain the word "sub". (Due
% to namespace constraints, I will be getting the subnodes as <ns1:sub>,
% <ns2:sub> and so on.)

Assuming you use xpath to do the selection, the function local-name()
returns the name of the element sans name-space prefix. In XSLT, you
could have

<xsl:template match='local-name(.) = "sub"'>
</xsl>

Question: if this is really what you want, why do you have name-spaces
there at all?

Robin Johnson

Surely you mean said:
Question: if this is really what you want, why do you have name-spaces
there at all?

Maybe ns1:sub and ns2:sub are to be treated differently at some other point.