    nice to include/exclude specific methods.

    I can find nothing in the Javadoc docs that supports this. I'm wondering
    if there is a fancy doclet out there that would do it?

    Chris, Mar 9, 2008

  2. Chris

    Lew Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > We publish a library. Part of the API we'd like to document, and part of
    > it needs to remain closed.
    >
    > I'd love to be able to put a tag in the Javadoc for a class that would
    > tell the Javadoc tool to generate the javadoc or not. It would also be
    > nice to include/exclude specific methods.
    >
    > I can find nothing in the Javadoc docs that supports this. I'm wondering
    > if there is a fancy doclet out there that would do it?

    $ javadoc -help
    usage: javadoc [options] [packagenames] [sourcefiles] [@files]
    -sourcepath <pathlist> Specify where to find source files
    -exclude <pkglist> Specify a list of packages to exclude

    Also, javadoc will exclude package-private classes by default. It's good
    design anyway to keep such classes package-private and link them via an
    accessible interface.

    Same reasoning for methods - keep methods you don't want documented at private
    or package-private access.

    By judiciously combining inclusive parameters with exclusionary options one
    can control javadoc pretty finely.

    For a terse but complete description of the options, see
    $ man javadoc

    Even more at
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/solaris/javadoc.html>
    <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/javadoc.html>