    so, how to?

    Thanks in advance,
    NewBie
    NewBie, Jul 23, 2004

  2. "NewBie" <> writes:

    > Is it possible to have a self help change unix password through broswer? If
    > so, how to?

    I suggest you take a look back at the answers given to the last couple
    of dozen people to ask this question in this newsgroup. (Shouldn't be
    too difficult the question is quite keywoed-rich).

    You'll find the general consensus is: if you need to ask you shouldn't
    be doing it.

    --
    \\ ( )
    . _\\__[oo
    Brian McCauley, Jul 23, 2004

  3. On 23 Jul 2004 20:48:58 +0100, Brian McCauley <> wrote:

    >> Is it possible to have a self help change unix password through broswer? If
    >> so, how to?

    >I suggest you take a look back at the answers given to the last couple
    >of dozen people to ask this question in this newsgroup. (Shouldn't be
    >too difficult the question is quite keywoed-rich).
    >
    >You'll find the general consensus is: if you need to ask you shouldn't
    >be doing it.

    While I fully agree on this, I have a question too. Not that I really
    need this or have even asked the very same question, but I know that a
    customary (safe) answer is "write to a file and have a scheduled cron
    job running as root do the actual work". Now I wonder if one could use
    a daemon instead (possibly reading from a pipe rather than from a
    regular file): intuitively it seems to me that the answer should be
    "yes", but maybe I'm not taking into account some delicate issue. Just
    curious...

    Michele
    --
    #!/usr/bin/perl -lp
    BEGIN{*ARGV=do{open $_,q,<,,\$/;$_}}s z^z seek DATA,11,$[;($,
    Michele Dondi, Jul 24, 2004
  4. Michele Dondi <> writes:

    > On 23 Jul 2004 20:48:58 +0100, Brian McCauley <> wrote:
    >
    > >> Is it possible to have a self help change unix password through broswer? If
    > >> so, how to?

    > >I suggest you take a look back at the answers given to the last couple
    > >of dozen people to ask this question in this newsgroup. (Shouldn't be
    > >too difficult the question is quite keywoed-rich).
    > >
    > >You'll find the general consensus is: if you need to ask you shouldn't
    > >be doing it.

    > While I fully agree on this, I have a question too. Not that I really
    > need this or have even asked the very same question, but I know that a
    > customary (safe) answer is "write to a file and have a scheduled cron
    > job running as root do the actual work". Now I wonder if one could use
    > a daemon instead (possibly reading from a pipe rather than from a
    > regular file): intuitively it seems to me that the answer should be
    > "yes", but maybe I'm not taking into account some delicate issue. Just
    > curious...

    I have always considered the helper application being either an SUID
    application or connected via a pipe (or Unix domain socket) to be the
    more "customary" approach.

    Indeed you can even use /bin/passwd itself on some OSs.

    Usually the helper needs (or at least wants) to (re-)validate the old
    password before changing the password so you don't want that
    information sitting about in some file.

    This, of course, has nothing to do with Perl.

    --
    \\ ( )
    Brian McCauley, Jul 28, 2004