Self help change UNIX password through broswer - How to (NewBie)

NewBie

Hi,

Is it possible to have a self help change unix password through broswer? If
so, how to?

Thanks in advance,
NewBie

Brian McCauley

NewBie said:
Is it possible to have a self help change unix password through broswer? If
so, how to?

I suggest you take a look back at the answers given to the last couple
of dozen people to ask this question in this newsgroup. (Shouldn't be
too difficult the question is quite keywoed-rich).

You'll find the general consensus is: if you need to ask you shouldn't
be doing it.

--
\\ ( )
. _\\__[oo

Michele Dondi

I suggest you take a look back at the answers given to the last couple
of dozen people to ask this question in this newsgroup. (Shouldn't be
too difficult the question is quite keywoed-rich).

You'll find the general consensus is: if you need to ask you shouldn't
be doing it.

While I fully agree on this, I have a question too. Not that I really
need this or have even asked the very same question, but I know that a
customary (safe) answer is "write to a file and have a scheduled cron
job running as root do the actual work". Now I wonder if one could use
a daemon instead (possibly reading from a pipe rather than from a
regular file): intuitively it seems to me that the answer should be
"yes", but maybe I'm not taking into account some delicate issue. Just
curious...

Michele
--
#!/usr/bin/perl -lp
BEGIN{*ARGV=do{open $_,q,<,,\$/;$_}}s z^z seek DATA,11,$[;($,

Brian McCauley

Michele Dondi said:
While I fully agree on this, I have a question too. Not that I really
need this or have even asked the very same question, but I know that a
customary (safe) answer is "write to a file and have a scheduled cron
job running as root do the actual work". Now I wonder if one could use
a daemon instead (possibly reading from a pipe rather than from a
regular file): intuitively it seems to me that the answer should be
"yes", but maybe I'm not taking into account some delicate issue. Just
curious...

I have always considered the helper application being either an SUID
application or connected via a pipe (or Unix domain socket) to be the
more "customary" approach.

Indeed you can even use /bin/passwd itself on some OSs.

Usually the helper needs (or at least wants) to (re-)validate the old
password before changing the password so you don't want that
information sitting about in some file.

This, of course, has nothing to do with Perl.

--
\\ ( )