    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Marty Porter
    , Oct 29, 2003

  2. Safalra Guest

    "" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I thought I'd zip all of the files in a self extracting WinZip file and
    > have it automatically execute when started. I know how, with WinZip, to
    > start an executable file that is contained within the zip file but do
    > not know how to make it start an html file.

    I don't think it can be done.

    > I can't make it run IE or
    > Netscape because I don't know which the user will have.

    But you're certain the user will be running Windows? .zip files use a
    standard compression system and can be unzipped on other platforms,
    but .exe self-extracting zips only work on Windows.

    --- Stephen Morley ---
    http://www.safalra.com
    Safalra, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Safalra wrote:

    > But you're certain the user will be running Windows? .zip files use a
    > standard compression system and can be unzipped on other platforms,
    > but .exe self-extracting zips only work on Windows.

    Bzzzt! Try again! Self extracting EXEs (at least those made with PKZip and
    WinZip) are also valid ZIP files and can be unzipped using standard
    unzipping tools on any operating system (the EXE header and code are
    stored in the ZIP file's padding section, so they are ignored).

    I use Linux and never have any trouble unzipping self-extracting EXE files
    (and no, I don't use WINE).

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 29, 2003