    VB-javadoc-comments?

    Thanks
    Stefan
    Stefan Poehn, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Stefan Poehn

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:15:39 +0200, "Stefan Poehn"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >is there any tool that can extract javadoc-comments from Visual Basic
    >programs? If not, does javadoc have an interface that handles the
    >HTML-output, so I could write a simple VB parser and feed javadoc with
    >VB-javadoc-comments?

    you could obviously embed JavaDoc inside VB, but the Javadoc processor
    combines information from the method headers with your Javadoc. What
    you would need is something that would parse the VB, extract the VB
    function headers, and create the equivalent Java ones. Then feed that
    to Javadoc.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Stefan Poehn

    Stefan Poehn Guest

    "Roedy Green" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:15:39 +0200, "Stefan Poehn"
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >

    > >is there any tool that can extract javadoc-comments from Visual Basic
    > >programs? If not, does javadoc have an interface that handles the
    > >HTML-output, so I could write a simple VB parser and feed javadoc with
    > >VB-javadoc-comments?

    > you could obviously embed JavaDoc inside VB, but the Javadoc processor
    > combines information from the method headers with your Javadoc.

    Done.

    > What
    > you would need is something that would parse the VB, extract the VB
    > function headers,

    This part is very easy with "VB Extensibility". You can read the VB modules
    line by line.

    > and create the equivalent Java ones. Then feed that
    > to Javadoc.

    I assume the bigger problem is feeding the javadoc processor, I have no clue
    how to start it and to format the information I have extracted from VB
    modules.

    Stefan Poehn, Jun 24, 2004
  4. Stefan Poehn wrote:
    > is there any tool that can extract javadoc-comments from Visual Basic
    > programs?

    http://vbdox.sourceforge.net/

    Excuse me while I take a shower, now ...

    /Thomas
    Thomas Weidenfeller, Jun 24, 2004
  5. Stefan Poehn

    Stefan Ram Guest

    "Stefan Poehn" <> writes:
    >is there any tool that can extract javadoc-comments from Visual Basic
    >programs? If not, does javadoc have an interface that handles the
    >HTML-output, so I could write a simple VB parser and feed javadoc with
    >VB-javadoc-comments?

    VB doxygen is a Visual Basic addin that converts VB code
    into java like syntax for processing through the doxygen
    documentation generator. This allows the production of
    advanced documentation for Visual Basic.

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/vbdoxygen/
    Stefan Ram, Jun 24, 2004
  6. Stefan Poehn

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:13:22 +0200, "Stefan Poehn"
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I assume the bigger problem is feeding the javadoc processor, I have no clue
    >how to start it and to format the information I have extracted from VB
    >modules.

    see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/javadoc.html

    It is pretty simple. Just start by naming a single *.java module.

    javadoc.exe MyClass.java

    and gradually add options, and looking to see what they do.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  7. Stefan Poehn

    <> wrote or quoted :

    >I assume the bigger problem is feeding the javadoc processor, I have no clue
    >how to start it and to format the information I have extracted from VB
    >modules.

    You have to make it look like Java, though all the method bodies can
    be empty.

    I don't know VB, so I can't give you an example of before and after.

    But for a simple method called add that takes two parameters you need
    to generate something like this to feed to JavDoc.exe

    /**
    * adds two integers
    * @param a first number
    * @param b second number
    * @return sum of a + b
    */
    public int add ( int a, int b );

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  8. Stefan Poehn

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:13:49 +0200, Thomas Weidenfeller
    <> wrote or quoted :

    >http://vbdox.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >Excuse me while I take a shower, now ...

    Its a first step in detox.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
    Roedy Green, Jun 24, 2004
  9. Stefan Poehn

    Stefan Poehn Guest

    "Thomas Weidenfeller" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Stefan Poehn wrote:
    > > is there any tool that can extract javadoc-comments from Visual Basic
    > > programs?

    > http://vbdox.sourceforge.net/

    This tool is _very_ useful, thanks for the link.

    Stefan Poehn, Jun 25, 2004
  10. Stefan Poehn

    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:13:22 +0200, "Stefan Poehn"
    > <> wrote or quoted :
    >
    > >I assume the bigger problem is feeding the javadoc processor, I have no

    clue
    > >how to start it and to format the information I have extracted from VB
    > >modules.

    > You have to make it look like Java, though all the method bodies can
    > be empty.

    You can write doclets for javadoc processing which is just the other end of
    javadoc. The javadoc processor has gathered all important info from the
    source and now you can use this info in your doclets.

    What I had in mind: Use the standard doclet and replace javadoc's java
    parser by a (very simple) VB parser. Is this possible?

    Since there is already a fantastic software (vbdox) for writing
    javadoc-pages from VB source code, there is no need for writing this parser,
    it is just an interesting thing to know.

    Stefan
    Stefan Poehn, Jun 29, 2004