Semantics part in C standard

maxw_cc

Hi to all of you,

I was wondering what the Semantics part
in C standard is really for? What should
be on the constraints part and what should
be on the semantics part?
Is the implementation obligued to produce
diagnostics only if I violate something in
the constraints part?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Max

Douglas A. Gwyn

maxw_cc said:
I was wondering what the Semantics part
in C standard is really for?

To specify semantics for the various operations.
What should
be on the constraints part and what should
be on the semantics part?

What is there, should be there.
Is the implementation obligued to produce
diagnostics only if I violate something in
the constraints part?

A violation of syntax or constraints requires a
diagnostic, if the implementation is to conform
to the standard.

Dan Pop

In said:
I was wondering what the Semantics part
in C standard is really for? What should
be on the constraints part and what should
be on the semantics part?

The constraints part, together with the syntax part, describe the correct
form of each programming construct supported by the C language.

The semantics part describes the meaning of each programming construct
whose correct form was specified by the syntax and constraints part.
Is the implementation obligued to produce
diagnostics only if I violate something in
the constraints part?

Or the syntax part. A program can't violate the semantics part, only the
implementation can (in which case, it is non-conforming).

Dan