    the constraints part?

    Thanks a lot in advance,

    Max

    maxw_cc, Aug 14, 2003

  2. maxw_cc wrote:
    > I was wondering what the Semantics part
    > in C standard is really for?

    To specify semantics for the various operations.

    > What should
    > be on the constraints part and what should
    > be on the semantics part?

    What is there, should be there.

    > Is the implementation obligued to produce
    > diagnostics only if I violate something in
    > the constraints part?

    A violation of syntax or constraints requires a
    diagnostic, if the implementation is to conform
    to the standard.

    Douglas A. Gwyn, Aug 14, 2003

  3. maxw_cc

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> (maxw_cc) writes:

    >I was wondering what the Semantics part
    >in C standard is really for? What should
    >be on the constraints part and what should
    >be on the semantics part?

    The constraints part, together with the syntax part, describe the correct
    form of each programming construct supported by the C language.

    The semantics part describes the meaning of each programming construct
    whose correct form was specified by the syntax and constraints part.

    >Is the implementation obligued to produce
    >diagnostics only if I violate something in
    >the constraints part?

    Or the syntax part. A program can't violate the semantics part, only the
    implementation can (in which case, it is non-conforming).

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group