[Semi-OT]: All My FAQs

Discussion in 'HTML' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. First of all, does anyone know what Jerry is up to? As most of us are
    aware of already, he let the domain expire (again), and it now shows a
    placeholder page for Register.com.

    Secondly, I tried downloading the article archive from the Wayback
    Machine today, only to notice that some of the articles are having
    trouble in the the IAWM[1] system, rendering them inaccessible. I do
    believe I got the majority of the articles, but as I said, there are a
    few missing.

    Does anyone have a complete collection of these articles? I'm hoping to
    put up a mirror of the site somewhere (or at least the articles
    themselves). I'd prefer to have them compressed into a single archive
    file, most archive formats are accepted (.zip, .arj, .arc, .rar, .tar,
    ..gz, .bz2, etc).

    Third, I'm the one who managed to register allmyfaqs.net and
    allmyfaqs.org, and I plan to use these just for that purpose; reviving
    that old site, one way or another. I'm providing the hosting for the
    site myself, too.

    Why nobody ever thought of registering these versions of the domain
    name, is beyond me.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=, Nov 9, 2005

  2. Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > First of all, does anyone know what Jerry is up to? As most of us are
    > aware of already, he let the domain expire (again), and it now shows a
    > placeholder page for Register.com.

    When did anybody around here last see or hear anything of Jerry, for
    that matter?

    <snip>
    > Third, I'm the one who managed to register allmyfaqs.net and
    > allmyfaqs.org, and I plan to use these just for that purpose; reviving
    > that old site, one way or another. I'm providing the hosting for the
    > site myself, too.
    >
    > Why nobody ever thought of registering these versions of the domain
    > name, is beyond me.

    allmyfaqs.org: because nobody got round to doubting its commercial
    status indicated by the .com name?

    allmyfaqs.net: because nobody ever thought of AllMyFaqs as a network
    provider?

    Next question: why has nobody thought of registering allmyfaqs.info yet?

    Stewart.

    --

    the 'group where everyone may benefit.
    Stewart Gordon, Nov 9, 2005

  3. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Allis Guest

    "Stewart Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > Kim André Akerø wrote:
    > > First of all, does anyone know what Jerry is up to? As most of us are
    > > aware of already, he let the domain expire (again), and it now shows a
    > > placeholder page for Register.com.

    > When did anybody around here last see or hear anything of Jerry, for
    > that matter?
    >
    > <snip>
    > > Third, I'm the one who managed to register allmyfaqs.net and
    > > allmyfaqs.org, and I plan to use these just for that purpose; reviving
    > > that old site, one way or another. I'm providing the hosting for the
    > > site myself, too.
    > >
    > > Why nobody ever thought of registering these versions of the domain
    > > name, is beyond me.

    > allmyfaqs.org: because nobody got round to doubting its commercial
    > status indicated by the .com name?
    >
    > allmyfaqs.net: because nobody ever thought of AllMyFaqs as a network
    > provider?
    >
    > Next question: why has nobody thought of registering allmyfaqs.info yet?
    >
    > Stewart.

    Was busy registering http://cull-the-herd.com

    ;)

    Allis
    Allis, Nov 9, 2005
  4. On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:09:12 +0000, Stewart Gordon <>
    wrote:

    >Kim André Akerø wrote:
    >> First of all, does anyone know what Jerry is up to?

    Some change in life maybe, none of our business really

    >When did anybody around here last see or hear anything of Jerry, for
    >that matter?

    Maybe it can be seen as a slight level of disrespect for the web to let
    a well known and popular domain just die;

    OTOH it was his domain, paid for with his own money; he has the right to
    do whatever he likes with it.

    In the bigger picture; this is just another case that shows that the web
    is not a reliable area for information storage. The web is "dynamic" to
    say the least; Jerry and I had a discussion about this several years
    back when he introduced his first version of an interactive "wicki" on
    his site.

    We ended up in a yet unsolved disagreement; where resulting history
    seems to give me the edge when I said that Usenet is a better forum for
    FAQ postings as compared to web based FAQ lists.

    Usenet is still continuously archived by big enough organizations, which
    makes it solidly different from the www.

    --
    Rex
    Jan Roland Eriksson, Nov 10, 2005
  5. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Nov 10, 2005
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Heidi Guest

    Heidi, Nov 10, 2005
  7. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:33:40 +0100 from Jan Roland Eriksson
    <>:
    > We ended up in a yet unsolved disagreement; where resulting history
    > seems to give me the edge when I said that Usenet is a better forum for
    > FAQ postings as compared to web based FAQ lists.

    But using both media is better still, as I hope you'll agree.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
    validator: http://validator.w3.org/
    CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
    validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    Why We Won't Help You:
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you
    Stan Brown, Nov 10, 2005
  8. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Stan Brown Guest

    Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:10:14 +0000 from Toby Inkster <usenet200511
    @tobyinkster.co.uk>:
    > Jan Roland Eriksson wrote:
    >
    > > Usenet is still continuously archived by big enough organizations, which
    > > makes it solidly different from the www.

    > http://www.archive.org/

    The Internet Wayback Machine (URL above) is a great resource, but
    it's far from complete. Its FAQs
    <http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#The_Wayback_Machine> point to
    its exclusion policy
    <http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/research/conferences/aps/removal-
    policy.html> which includes honoring robots.txt files for instance.
    Note in particular (on the FAQs page) that robots.txt files are
    honored retroactively.

    In addition, changes in Web pages get missed if the page changes more
    than once between the times the Wayback Machine archives it.

    Then there are the usual suspects that inhibit indexing _and_
    archiving: Javascript navigation, server-side image maps, and so
    forth.

    Stan Brown, Nov 10, 2005
  9. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Guest

    Re: : All My FAQs

    I'm not so sure about the final call on superiority of information
    storage, Rex, especially if you factor in useability. WikiPedia seems
    to be doing all right by its users, when it is used within its
    limitations, and seems a good deal more useful than searching usenet
    for answers.

    BTW I have a great deal of respect for the web, and for those who drive
    it toward its potential and work to protect it from malevolence. Toward
    that end, I groomed and tweaked and watched over allmyfaqs.com like a
    mother hen, and have some 563 articles backed up in the wiki engine's
    *.db format from which the wiki can be rebuilt (or anthologized) for
    future generations.

    ---- Jerry Muelver
    , Nov 10, 2005
  10. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Els Guest

    Re: : All My FAQs

    wrote:

    Jerry, have you noticed your domain has expired?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Nov 10, 2005
  11. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Guest

    Re: : All My FAQs

    Els asked,
    "Jerry, have you noticed your domain has expired? "

    Yes, Els. I'm pretty religious about reading the domain registrar
    notices in my email, once I get the 95% spam cleared away.

    ---- Jerry Muelver
    , Nov 10, 2005
  12. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    brucie Guest

    Re: : All My FAQs

    In post <news:>,
    said:

    >> "Jerry, have you noticed your domain has expired? "

    > Yes, Els. I'm pretty religious about reading the domain registrar
    > notices in my email,

    how about reregistering it and putting the wiki back? pretty please?

    > once I get the 95% spam cleared away.

    thats not spam! they're little love notes i've been sending you. <sob/> i
    feel so unloved.

    --
    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 10, 2005
  13. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Guest

    Re: : All My FAQs

    Brucie asks, "how about reregistering it and putting the wiki back?
    pretty please?"

    Hmmm.... A link from http://www.brucies.com would get the
    button-searchers, wouldn't it? Might be able to work up a business plan
    on that....

    ---- Jerry Muelver
    , Nov 10, 2005
  14. On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:54:15 -0500, Stan Brown
    <> wrote:

    >Thu, 10 Nov 2005 01:33:40 +0100 from Jan Roland Eriksson
    ><>:
    >> We ended up in a yet unsolved disagreement; where resulting history
    >> seems to give me the edge when I said that Usenet is a better forum for
    >> FAQ postings as compared to web based FAQ lists.

    >But using both media is better still, as I hope you'll agree.

    Sure; Usenet traditions calls for an _original_ version of a FAQ list to
    be posted to the NG where it belongs. That original FAQ list shall have
    a URL to a web copy (if one exists) it in its meta head.

    The setup of this following meta head is correct as per Usenet
    recommendations (once approved and registered by the moderators at MIT)
    and the text version is the last updated original.

    http://www.css.nu/faq/ciwas-mFAQ.txt

    There is a URL too pointing to what should be a web copy of the text but
    still unfinished due to my lack of time and energy.

    Let's hope that Tina will find time to do some update work on the css.nu
    FAQ lists now when she has volunteered to take over and run the css.nu
    domain. At least there should be a cron job set up to post the text once
    a week, I'll see if I can motivate Tina to set it up.

    Info on how to set up the framework of a correct FAQ list and how to get
    it approved for postings to the correct *.answers hierarchy[1] is given
    in this old but timeless document...

    http://www.faqs.org/faqs/faqs/about-faqs/

    A Usenet NG can have as many FAQ lists as its users see fit but in most
    cases there is at least one list that is sort of 'primary', i.e. the one
    that directly addresses the procedures for the NG and FA questions
    directly on topic for the NG.

    [1] all *.answers NG's are (supposed to be) moderated and all postings
    passes through a (sometimes human) moderator gateway before they are
    allowed to enter an *.answers NG.

    --
    Rex
    Jan Roland Eriksson, Nov 10, 2005
  15. Re: : All My FAQs

    wrote

    > Brucie asks, "how about reregistering it and putting the wiki back?
    > pretty please?"
    >
    > Hmmm.... A link from http://www.brucies.com would get the
    > button-searchers, wouldn't it? Might be able to work up a business plan
    > on that....

    Howdy stranger!

    --
    Charles Sweeney
    http://CharlesSweeney.com
    Charles Sweeney, Nov 10, 2005
  16. Re: : All My FAQs

    On 10 Nov 2005 11:12:48 -0800, wrote:

    >I'm not so sure about the final call on superiority of information
    >storage, Rex, especially if you factor in useability.

    I factored in stability of storage. Web sites that depends on the energy
    input from one single person are vulnerable by definition.

    There was an interview with a philosopher of sorts here on Swedish radio
    the other day. He was asked about what generic thought he most often had
    on mind.

    Philosopher...

    "I wake up in the morning to start another day of life,
    not knowing if I will ever see the evening."

    Interviewer...

    "But that goes for every one?"

    Philosopher...

    "Yea, but do they live and act accordingly?"

    As a contrast, I just spent a quick minute on Google groups to find an
    archived thread from early 1998 where I participated. I'm sure that if I
    spend a few minutes more I would find my very first post on Usenet from
    late 1995 too.

    >WikiPedia seems to be doing all right by its users,

    No doubts.

    >...seems a good deal more useful than searching usenet
    >for answers.

    A matter of taste I'd say.

    >...I groomed and tweaked and watched over allmyfaqs.com
    >like a mother hen...

    I know that, and you have my full respect for that effort.

    The same "idealism" came out of me for css.nu which over the years I had
    it has costed me some $2500,- of already taxed money coming out of my
    own pocket. Lucky for me I found some one to take over the site after my
    life situation has changed enough to make it difficult to continue.

    Let's initiate an experiment in storage reliability...

    =====

    This is official from me Jan Roland Eriksson.

    Tina Holmboe, one original member of the "Web Design Group" at...

    http://www.htmlhelp.org

    ....and the current manager of Greytower Technologies at...

    http://www.greytower.co.uk/

    ....is now the official owner of the domain 'css.nu' and has been given
    all rights to handle original material stored within that domain as she
    see fit. The domain and its content has been handed over to Tina as a
    gift from me and my original css.nu web partner Sue Sims.

    =====

    Now let's see if any one could fight Tina for her rights to css.nu ten
    years from now, regardless if I will see the end of this day or not :)

    Compare the possibilities to a situation where I would have created a
    standard web page containing the same information.

    --
    Rex
    Jan Roland Eriksson, Nov 10, 2005
  17. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Guest

    Re: : All My FAQs

    'Lo, Charles.

    With Brucie on-deck, how could I be "stranger"?

    ---- Jerry Muelver
    , Nov 10, 2005
  18. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

    Els Guest

    Re: : All My FAQs

    wrote:

    > 'Lo, Charles.
    >
    > With Brucie on-deck, how could I be "stranger"?

    Good point.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Nov 10, 2005
  19. On 9 Nov 2005 13:45:04 GMT, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=
    <> wrote:

    >First of all, does anyone know what Jerry is up to? As most of us are
    >aware of already, he let the domain expire (again), and it now shows a
    >placeholder page for Register.com.

    I just got into contact with Jerry. He isn't interested in running AMF
    anymore, or maintaining the domain name, but is willing to let someone
    else have it. Any takers? Tina?

    Nick
    --
    Nick Theodorakis

    contact form:
    http://theodorakis.net/contact.html
    Nick Theodorakis, Nov 11, 2005
  20. "Nick Theodorakis" <> wrote in message
    > On 9 Nov 2005 13:45:04 GMT, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>First of all, does anyone know what Jerry is up to? As most of us are
    >>aware of already, he let the domain expire (again), and it now shows a
    >>placeholder page for Register.com.

    > I just got into contact with Jerry. He isn't interested in running AMF
    > anymore, or maintaining the domain name, but is willing to let someone
    > else have it. Any takers? Tina?

    I've always said I'll host it for free.

    --Tina
    Tina - AxisHOST, Inc., Nov 11, 2005