[semi OT] CLC Wiki Relaunch + Free Extras

Flash Gordon

Some of you wondered what happened to the CLC Wiki and a little while
ago I posted that it was not pretty but was more or less up. Well, I am
please to say that it is now fully up once more and nothing has been
lost. It can be reached at either http://clc-wiki.net or
http://www.clc-wiki.net

We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also
be appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular
and the C community in general.

I can offer people email accounts in the clc-wiki.net domain as well.
These can either forward to the email address of your choice or you can
have a hosted email account with pop3/imap/webmail access. Contact
either Netocrat or myself (this email address is real, or either of us
can be contacted through the Wiki).

For anyone interested, the reason for the long downtime was that it was
running on a server in my bedroom but whilst I was in India my internet
connection died. It is now hosted on a proper dedicated server in a real
datacenter, so we should not get this problem again. It would have been
up sooner but the migration took time due to my work load.

I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post
links to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice.
I would also suggest that this groups is not the place for long
discussions about the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of
the Wiki would be fine :)

Richard Heathfield

Flash Gordon said:

I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post
links to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice.

Why not add it to your sig? You still have three lines spare...

Malcolm McLean

Flash Gordon said:
We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also be
appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular and the
C community in general.

I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post links
to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice. I would
also suggest that this groups is not the place for long discussions about
the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of the Wiki would be
fine :)
I added a link to my website

http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.

However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

Jens Thoms Toerring

Malcolm McLean said:
it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.
However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

Or perhaps it's just the software being clever enough to detect that
this link doesn't work?

Laird Shaw

Malcolm said:
I added a link [on a page on the clc-wiki] to my website

http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.

However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

There's no record of it in the recent changes list or in the page's
history (I'm assuming that you edited the page "C community:Home pages").
Are you sure that the edit was saved OK - perhaps you hit "Show preview"
instead of "Save page"? Or perhaps Flash was in the middle of restoring
the database.

Jens Thoms Toerring

No, it works.

It works again but didn't when I was trying to take a look - instead
404 (or permission denied, I don't remember exactly) with a message
that even the error page could not be found.

Regards, Jens

Flash Gordon

santosh wrote, On 29/01/07 11:27:
Your edit is still visible in the history for that page.

Judging by when the page history shows it having been removed it might
have been a glitch when Netocrat did a site-wide rename.

Malcolm, I've added back in a link to your page.

Malcolm McLean

Flash Gordon said:
Judging by when the page history shows it having been removed it might
have been a glitch when Netocrat did a site-wide rename.

Malcolm, I've added back in a link to your page.
Thanks. It seems it was an update bot, not an enemy. Unless the update bot
is intelligent enough to harbour dislikes.

CBFalconer

Malcolm said:
Thanks. It seems it was an update bot, not an enemy. Unless the
update bot is intelligent enough to harbour dislikes.

So you have noticed that large green wispy genie over you, wielding
the large rubber stamp with 'disapproved' carved into it (in
inverse).

-- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
-- Thomas Matthews

Laird Shaw

Malcolm said:
Thanks. It seems it was an update bot, not an enemy. Unless the update bot
is intelligent enough to harbour dislikes.

Sorry Malcolm, that shouldn't have happened (and I'm at a loss as to how
it did - the bot was simply moving the page, not editing its content).
Your edit /was/ in the page history after all, I only checked the first
few lines assuming it was a recent edit.

Malcolm McLean

CBFalconer said:
So you have noticed that large green wispy genie over you, wielding
the large rubber stamp with 'disapproved' carved into it (in
inverse).
Yes. Both the humble and the very intelligent know wisdom when they see her,
but the man of middling ability is liable to hold her in contempt. So I did
wonder if some such person had decided to unlink my homepage from the Wiki.
I am glad it wasn't the case. Clc is sometimes more hostile in tone than in
actual fact.