[semi OT] CLC Wiki Relaunch + Free Extras

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Flash Gordon, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Some of you wondered what happened to the CLC Wiki and a little while
    ago I posted that it was not pretty but was more or less up. Well, I am
    please to say that it is now fully up once more and nothing has been
    lost. It can be reached at either http://clc-wiki.net or
    http://www.clc-wiki.net

    We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
    appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also
    be appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular
    and the C community in general.

    I can offer people email accounts in the clc-wiki.net domain as well.
    These can either forward to the email address of your choice or you can
    have a hosted email account with pop3/imap/webmail access. Contact
    either Netocrat or myself (this email address is real, or either of us
    can be contacted through the Wiki).

    For anyone interested, the reason for the long downtime was that it was
    running on a server in my bedroom but whilst I was in India my internet
    connection died. It is now hosted on a proper dedicated server in a real
    datacenter, so we should not get this problem again. It would have been
    up sooner but the migration took time due to my work load.

    I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post
    links to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice.
    I would also suggest that this groups is not the place for long
    discussions about the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of
    the Wiki would be fine :)
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Flash Gordon said:

    <snip>

    > I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post
    > links to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice.

    Why not add it to your sig? You still have three lines spare...

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Jan 27, 2007

  3. "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
    > appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also be
    > appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular and the
    > C community in general.
    >
    > I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post links
    > to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice. I would
    > also suggest that this groups is not the place for long discussions about
    > the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of the Wiki would be
    > fine :)

    I added a link to my website

    http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.

    However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
    community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
    don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

    Malcolm McLean, Jan 28, 2007
  4. Malcolm McLean <> wrote:

    > "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
    > > appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also be
    > > appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular and the
    > > C community in general.
    > >
    > > I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post links
    > > to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice. I would
    > > also suggest that this groups is not the place for long discussions about
    > > the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of the Wiki would be
    > > fine :)
    > >

    > I added a link to my website

    > http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    > it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.

    > However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
    > community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
    > don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

    Or perhaps it's just the software being clever enough to detect that
    this link doesn't work?

    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___

    Jens Thoms Toerring, Jan 28, 2007
  5. Flash Gordon

    Laird Shaw Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:

    > I added a link [on a page on the clc-wiki] to my website
    >
    > http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm
    >
    > it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.
    >
    > However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
    > community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
    > don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

    There's no record of it in the recent changes list or in the page's
    history (I'm assuming that you edited the page "C community:Home pages").
    Are you sure that the edit was saved OK - perhaps you hit "Show preview"
    instead of "Save page"? Or perhaps Flash was in the middle of restoring
    the database.

    --
    http://members.dodo.com.au/~netocrat

    Laird Shaw, Jan 29, 2007
  6. Flash Gordon

    santosh Guest

    Re: CLC Wiki Relaunch + Free Extras

    Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
    > > appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also be
    > > appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular and the
    > > C community in general.
    > >
    > > I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post links
    > > to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice. I would
    > > also suggest that this groups is not the place for long discussions about
    > > the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of the Wiki would be
    > > fine :)
    > >

    > I added a link to my website
    >
    > http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    Your edit is still visible in the history for that page.

    <snip>

    santosh, Jan 29, 2007
  7. Flash Gordon

    Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    > Malcolm McLean <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > > > We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
    > > > appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also be
    > > > appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular and the
    > > > C community in general.
    > > >
    > > > I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post links
    > > > to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice. I would
    > > > also suggest that this groups is not the place for long discussions about
    > > > the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of the Wiki would be
    > > > fine :)
    > > >

    > > I added a link to my website

    > > http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    > > it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.

    > > However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
    > > community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
    > > don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

    > Or perhaps it's just the software being clever enough to detect that
    > this link doesn't work?

    No, it works.

    santosh, Jan 29, 2007
  8. Re: CLC Wiki Relaunch + Free Extras

    santosh <> wrote:
    > Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
    > > Malcolm McLean <> wrote:

    > > > I added a link to my website

    > > > http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    > > > it clearly has enough C source code to qualify as C-related.

    > > > However it disappeared. Either sabotage or someone trying to protect the clc
    > > > community from my buggy programs. Or maybe a technical error. Anyway, I
    > > > don't have time to monitor the site 24 hours to replace links.

    > > Or perhaps it's just the software being clever enough to detect that
    > > this link doesn't work?

    > No, it works.

    It works again but didn't when I was trying to take a look - instead
    404 (or permission denied, I don't remember exactly) with a message
    that even the error page could not be found.

    Regards, Jens
    --
    \ Jens Thoms Toerring ___

    Jens Thoms Toerring, Jan 29, 2007
  9. Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon Guest

    santosh wrote, On 29/01/07 11:27:
    > Malcolm McLean wrote:
    >> "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> We have a start on C content and CLC specific content, but more would be
    >>> appreciated. Anyone else who wants to help on the admin side would also be
    >>> appreciated. The site is for the users of this group in particular and the
    >>> C community in general.
    >>>
    >>> I'm not going to post more adverts for the site, although I may post links
    >>> to it in answer to questions or when providing topicality advice. I would
    >>> also suggest that this groups is not the place for long discussions about
    >>> the Wiki, although discussing any of the C content of the Wiki would be
    >>> fine :)
    >>>

    >> I added a link to my website
    >>
    >> http://www.personal.leeds.ac.uk/~bgy1mm

    > Your edit is still visible in the history for that page.

    Judging by when the page history shows it having been removed it might
    have been a glitch when Netocrat did a site-wide rename.

    Malcolm, I've added back in a link to your page.
    --
    Flash Gordon

    Flash Gordon, Jan 29, 2007
  10. Re: CLC Wiki Relaunch + Free Extras

    "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >> Your edit is still visible in the history for that page.

    > Judging by when the page history shows it having been removed it might
    > have been a glitch when Netocrat did a site-wide rename.
    >
    > Malcolm, I've added back in a link to your page.

    Thanks. It seems it was an update bot, not an enemy. Unless the update bot
    is intelligent enough to harbour dislikes.

    Malcolm McLean, Jan 29, 2007
  11. Flash Gordon

    CBFalconer Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Your edit is still visible in the history for that page.

    >> Judging by when the page history shows it having been removed it
    >> might have been a glitch when Netocrat did a site-wide rename.
    >>
    >> Malcolm, I've added back in a link to your page.

    > Thanks. It seems it was an update bot, not an enemy. Unless the
    > update bot is intelligent enough to harbour dislikes.

    So you have noticed that large green wispy genie over you, wielding
    the large rubber stamp with 'disapproved' carved into it (in
    inverse).

    -- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
    -- Thomas Matthews

    CBFalconer, Jan 29, 2007
  12. Flash Gordon

    Laird Shaw Guest

    Malcolm McLean wrote:
    > "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Your edit is still visible in the history for that page.

    >> Judging by when the page history shows it having been removed it might
    >> have been a glitch when Netocrat did a site-wide rename.
    >>
    >> Malcolm, I've added back in a link to your page.
    >>

    > Thanks. It seems it was an update bot, not an enemy. Unless the update bot
    > is intelligent enough to harbour dislikes.

    Sorry Malcolm, that shouldn't have happened (and I'm at a loss as to how
    it did - the bot was simply moving the page, not editing its content).
    Your edit /was/ in the page history after all, I only checked the first
    few lines assuming it was a recent edit.

    --
    http://members.dodo.com.au/~netocrat

    Laird Shaw, Jan 29, 2007
  13. Re: CLC Wiki Relaunch + Free Extras

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > Malcolm McLean wrote:
    >> "Flash Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Judging by when the page history shows it having been removed it
    >>> might have been a glitch when Netocrat did a site-wide rename.
    >>>
    >>> Malcolm, I've added back in a link to your page.

    >> Thanks. It seems it was an update bot, not an enemy. Unless the
    >> update bot is intelligent enough to harbour dislikes.

    > So you have noticed that large green wispy genie over you, wielding
    > the large rubber stamp with 'disapproved' carved into it (in
    > inverse).

    Yes. Both the humble and the very intelligent know wisdom when they see her,
    but the man of middling ability is liable to hold her in contempt. So I did
    wonder if some such person had decided to unlink my homepage from the Wiki.
    I am glad it wasn't the case. Clc is sometimes more hostile in tone than in
    actual fact.

    Malcolm McLean, Jan 30, 2007