Semi-OT: Domain Hosting - Need 3 DSN's?

(Pete Cresswell)

I've been searching for a low-cost domain host.

Seems like I'm getting close.

www.AffordableHosting.com looked good, but they don't support having the domain
registered elsewere - and I'm paid up with Network Solutions through 2007.

www.discount-hosting.com is my current attempt - thanks Brucie.

Yesterday I changed my 'A' record at Network Solutions to point to the
discount-hosting's IP addr, but discount-hosting doesn't seem tb seeing it yet.

Aside from the 72-hours everybody says to wait, one other thing occurred to me:
discount-hosting's setup page contains the following statement:
Required configuration:
Primary DNS: ns1.discount-hosting.com (IP: 216.167.108.246)
Secondary DNS: ns2.discount-hosting.com (IP: 80.247.224.131)
Tertiary DNS: ns3.slconseil.com (IP: 64.23.82.52)

However, since I'm keeping my email at Cotse.net, I'm not using Network
Solution's "DNS" page. Instead, I'm using their "A" record page and that only
seems to allow a single IP address for each type of reference ('www', '@ (none)'
and '* (all others'.

Could discount-hosting be tripping over this? i.e. technically their 'Required
configuration' asks for three addresses, not just one.

To that end, I just re-updated my "A" record page so that 'www' uses the primary
IP, '@' uses the secondary, and '*' uses the tertiary.

Is there any hope here? Should I keep on waiting or try another host?

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

(Pete Cresswell) said:
I've been searching for a low-cost domain host.

Seems like I'm getting close.

www.AffordableHosting.com looked good, but they don't support having the
domain
registered elsewere - and I'm paid up with Network Solutions through 2007.

Try us, we do. ;-)

AffordableHOST.com

--Tina

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Try us, we do. ;-)

You were first on my list.

On "X" accounts? Typos aside (Host...ing and 'DSN')...seems like I tried, put
in a support ticket, and got "no" for the answer.

Maybe I misread it:

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

(Pete Cresswell) said:
RE/
Try us, we do. ;-)

You were first on my list.

On "X" accounts? Typos aside (Host...ing and 'DSN')...seems like I
tried, put
in a support ticket, and got "no" for the answer.

Maybe I misread it:
[YDR-10616]
Actually, we don't provide technical support for the use of 3rd party DNS.
We
prefer that you use our DNS/Nameservers.

Right. That's NOT saying you have to move your domain name registration to
us. You are perfectly welcome to leave it at Network Solutions. That just
means that if you use outside DNS services, we don't provide technical
support for any issues relating to your DNS stuff. You can keep your
domain at Network Solutions and simply update the DNS to point to our
nameservers.

--Tina

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
However, since I'm keeping my email at Cotse.net, I'm not using Network
Solution's "DNS" page. Instead, I'm using their "A" record page and that only
seems to allow a single IP address for each type of reference ('www', '@ (none)'
and '* (all others'.

Reading Discount-Hosting's FAQ, I come across this:
Q: Can I use e-mail addresses using the domain name installed on my
discount-hosting plan ?

A: .... The point is that no e-mail account is hosted on the server : you must
redirect every address to your usual POP acount(s), e. g. the one(s) given by
your ISP.
Of course, should you change your ISP (thus your POP account(s) ID('s)), you can
change the redirection at any time with your discount-hosting e-mail manager.

I don't know much about this stuff, but conceptually, that sounds to me like an
implicit Addressee GoldList. i.e. The only mail that gets accepted by
Discount-Hosting is mail where "To", "CC", or "BCC" contains one of the
addresses defined by Yours Truly via some sort of Discount-Hosting UI screen.

For me, this would be a Good Thing bc the guys at Cotse.net aren't exactly
thrilled by the 8,000-10,000 spams per day that my domain name attracts. Seems
like setting my email DNS to Discount-Hosting and then redirecting only the
addresses I want to receive mail to would be a nice front-end for Cotse -
stripping out those 8,000+ daily dictionary attacks.

Must be somebody else in the NG that knows about this stuff using
Discount-Hosting....

Am I on the right track here?

If so, it sounds to me like Discount-Hosting's $10 per year account would be a
valuable front-end add-on to the ISP service of anybody whose email service
accepts all mail to a given domain, but doesn't offer GoldListing of recipient
addresses - as in the case of EarthLink's "Star Addressing" service.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

(Pete Cresswell) said:
RE/

Reading Discount-Hosting's FAQ, I come across this:
Q: Can I use e-mail addresses using the domain name installed on my
discount-hosting plan ?

A: .... The point is that no e-mail account is hosted on the server : you
must
redirect every address to your usual POP acount(s), e. g. the one(s) given
by
your ISP.

They are referring to email forwarding. Basically, (e-mail address removed)
gets forwarded to (e-mail address removed)

These also come standard with just about every paid host out there and most
free hosts as well (including both our free and paid hosting packages).

--Tina

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
They are referring to email forwarding. Basically, (e-mail address removed)
gets forwarded to (e-mail address removed)

But they say "..you must redirect **every address** to your usual POP
acount(s)...".

Or am I misinterpreting "every address"? I'm thinking of it as "(e-mail address removed)",
"(e-mail address removed)", "(e-mail address removed)" and so-forth - as opposed to *@x.y.z.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

(Pete Cresswell) said:
RE/

But they say "..you must redirect **every address** to your usual POP
acount(s)...".

Or am I misinterpreting "every address"? I'm thinking of it as
"(e-mail address removed)",
"(e-mail address removed)", "(e-mail address removed)" and so-forth - as opposed to *@x.y.z.

Most likely, you log into your control panel and say:

(e-mail address removed) > (e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed) > (e-mail address removed)

for each forward you want setup. They may have a catchall forward as well.
You'd have to ask.

--Tina

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Most likely, you log into your control panel and say:

(e-mail address removed) > (e-mail address removed)
(e-mail address removed) > (e-mail address removed)

for each forward you want setup.

*Precisely* what I figured.

Sounds like a freebie Alias GoldList to me....

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

(Pete Cresswell) said:
RE/

*Precisely* what I figured.

Sounds like a freebie Alias GoldList to me....

Keep in mind that in order for that to work with them....like with us,
you'll have to update your domain name's nameservers/DNS to point to their
servers.

--Tina

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
Keep in mind that in order for that to work with them....like with us,
you'll have to update your domain name's nameservers/DNS to point to their
servers.

And, as I've finally discovered, the trick to doing it with yours (web only, no
email) is to point the DNS to the ISP addr of the specific server that's holding
my web pages - instead of the "EAST...." "WEST..."... servers.