Semi-OT: Domain Hosting - Need 3 DSN's?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by (Pete Cresswell), Dec 6, 2004.

  1. I've been searching for a low-cost domain host.

    Seems like I'm getting close.

    www.AffordableHosting.com looked good, but they don't support having the domain
    registered elsewere - and I'm paid up with Network Solutions through 2007.

    www.discount-hosting.com is my current attempt - thanks Brucie.

    Yesterday I changed my 'A' record at Network Solutions to point to the
    discount-hosting's IP addr, but discount-hosting doesn't seem tb seeing it yet.

    Aside from the 72-hours everybody says to wait, one other thing occurred to me:
    discount-hosting's setup page contains the following statement:
    Required configuration:
    Primary DNS: ns1.discount-hosting.com (IP: 216.167.108.246)
    Secondary DNS: ns2.discount-hosting.com (IP: 80.247.224.131)
    Tertiary DNS: ns3.slconseil.com (IP: 64.23.82.52)

    However, since I'm keeping my email at Cotse.net, I'm not using Network
    Solution's "DNS" page. Instead, I'm using their "A" record page and that only
    seems to allow a single IP address for each type of reference ('www', '@ (none)'
    and '* (all others'.

    Could discount-hosting be tripping over this? i.e. technically their 'Required
    configuration' asks for three addresses, not just one.

    To that end, I just re-updated my "A" record page so that 'www' uses the primary
    IP, '@' uses the secondary, and '*' uses the tertiary.

    Is there any hope here? Should I keep on waiting or try another host?
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 6, 2004

  2. On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:23:53 +0000, (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    I realize it is probably just a Subject: line typo...

    DSN:
    <http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Acronym=dsn&Find=Find>

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman |
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Dec 6, 2004

  3. "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > I've been searching for a low-cost domain host.
    >
    > Seems like I'm getting close.
    >
    > www.AffordableHosting.com looked good, but they don't support having the
    > domain
    > registered elsewere - and I'm paid up with Network Solutions through 2007.

    Try us, we do. ;-)

    AffordableHOST.com

    --Tina
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 6, 2004
  4. (Pete Cresswell)

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Jan Faerber, Dec 6, 2004
  5. RE/

    >Try us, we do. ;-)

    You were first on my list.

    On "X" accounts? Typos aside (Host...ing and 'DSN')...seems like I tried, put
    in a support ticket, and got "no" for the answer.

    Maybe I misread it:
    [YDR-10616]
    Actually, we don't provide technical support for the use of 3rd party DNS. We
    prefer that you use our DNS/Nameservers.
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 6, 2004
  6. RE/
    >> Semi-OT: Domain Hosting - Need 3 DSN's?

    >you need what?

    My bad. SB "DNS".
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 6, 2004
  7. "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > RE/
    >>
    >>Try us, we do. ;-)

    > You were first on my list.
    >
    > On "X" accounts? Typos aside (Host...ing and 'DSN')...seems like I
    > tried, put
    > in a support ticket, and got "no" for the answer.
    >
    > Maybe I misread it:
    > [YDR-10616]
    > Actually, we don't provide technical support for the use of 3rd party DNS.
    > We
    > prefer that you use our DNS/Nameservers.
    > PeteCresswell

    Right. That's NOT saying you have to move your domain name registration to
    us. You are perfectly welcome to leave it at Network Solutions. That just
    means that if you use outside DNS services, we don't provide technical
    support for any issues relating to your DNS stuff. You can keep your
    domain at Network Solutions and simply update the DNS to point to our
    nameservers.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 6, 2004
  8. RE/
    >However, since I'm keeping my email at Cotse.net, I'm not using Network
    >Solution's "DNS" page. Instead, I'm using their "A" record page and that only
    >seems to allow a single IP address for each type of reference ('www', '@ (none)'
    >and '* (all others'.

    Reading Discount-Hosting's FAQ, I come across this:
    Q: Can I use e-mail addresses using the domain name installed on my
    discount-hosting plan ?

    A: .... The point is that no e-mail account is hosted on the server : you must
    redirect every address to your usual POP acount(s), e. g. the one(s) given by
    your ISP.
    Of course, should you change your ISP (thus your POP account(s) ID('s)), you can
    change the redirection at any time with your discount-hosting e-mail manager.

    I don't know much about this stuff, but conceptually, that sounds to me like an
    implicit Addressee GoldList. i.e. The only mail that gets accepted by
    Discount-Hosting is mail where "To", "CC", or "BCC" contains one of the
    addresses defined by Yours Truly via some sort of Discount-Hosting UI screen.

    For me, this would be a Good Thing bc the guys at Cotse.net aren't exactly
    thrilled by the 8,000-10,000 spams per day that my domain name attracts. Seems
    like setting my email DNS to Discount-Hosting and then redirecting only the
    addresses I want to receive mail to would be a nice front-end for Cotse -
    stripping out those 8,000+ daily dictionary attacks.

    Must be somebody else in the NG that knows about this stuff using
    Discount-Hosting....

    Am I on the right track here?

    If so, it sounds to me like Discount-Hosting's $10 per year account would be a
    valuable front-end add-on to the ISP service of anybody whose email service
    accepts all mail to a given domain, but doesn't offer GoldListing of recipient
    addresses - as in the case of EarthLink's "Star Addressing" service.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 6, 2004
  9. "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > RE/
    >>However, since I'm keeping my email at Cotse.net, I'm not using Network
    >>Solution's "DNS" page. Instead, I'm using their "A" record page and that
    >>only
    >>seems to allow a single IP address for each type of reference ('www', '@
    >>(none)'
    >>and '* (all others'.

    > Reading Discount-Hosting's FAQ, I come across this:
    > Q: Can I use e-mail addresses using the domain name installed on my
    > discount-hosting plan ?
    >
    > A: .... The point is that no e-mail account is hosted on the server : you
    > must
    > redirect every address to your usual POP acount(s), e. g. the one(s) given
    > by
    > your ISP.

    They are referring to email forwarding. Basically,
    gets forwarded to

    These also come standard with just about every paid host out there and most
    free hosts as well (including both our free and paid hosting packages).

    --Tina

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 7, 2004
  10. RE/
    >They are referring to email forwarding. Basically,
    >gets forwarded to

    But they say "..you must redirect **every address** to your usual POP
    acount(s)...".

    Or am I misinterpreting "every address"? I'm thinking of it as "",
    "", "" and so-forth - as opposed to *@x.y.z.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 7, 2004
  11. "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > RE/
    >>They are referring to email forwarding. Basically,
    >>
    >>gets forwarded to

    > But they say "..you must redirect **every address** to your usual POP
    > acount(s)...".
    >
    > Or am I misinterpreting "every address"? I'm thinking of it as
    > "",
    > "", "" and so-forth - as opposed to *@x.y.z.

    Most likely, you log into your control panel and say:

    for each forward you want setup. They may have a catchall forward as well.
    You'd have to ask.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    http://www.AxisHost.com - High bandwidth Cpanel Hosting
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 7, 2004
  12. RE/
    >Most likely, you log into your control panel and say:
    >

    >for each forward you want setup.

    *Precisely* what I figured.

    Sounds like a freebie Alias GoldList to me....
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 7, 2004
  13. "(Pete Cresswell)" <> wrote in message
    > RE/
    >>Most likely, you log into your control panel and say:
    >>

    >>for each forward you want setup.

    > *Precisely* what I figured.
    >
    > Sounds like a freebie Alias GoldList to me....

    Keep in mind that in order for that to work with them....like with us,
    you'll have to update your domain name's nameservers/DNS to point to their
    servers.

    --Tina
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 7, 2004
  14. RE/
    >Keep in mind that in order for that to work with them....like with us,
    >you'll have to update your domain name's nameservers/DNS to point to their
    >servers.

    And, as I've finally discovered, the trick to doing it with yours (web only, no
    email) is to point the DNS to the ISP addr of the specific server that's holding
    my web pages - instead of the "EAST...." "WEST..."... servers.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (Pete Cresswell), Dec 7, 2004