semi OT:Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kayodeok, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/07/microsoft_patents_keyboard_navigation/
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...,785,865.WKU.&OS=PN/6,785,865&RS=PN/6,785,865

    Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
    the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
    6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
    Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
    page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
    years ago, in March 1997.

    "A user may press a tab key to discover and navigate to a first
    hyperlink that is part of a hypertext document. The first hyperlink
    is, in response, given focus and a focus shape is drawn around the
    text or graphics for the hot region of the hyperlink. If the user
    again presses the tab key, the next hyperlink is given focus and a
    focus shape (i.e., an outline that surrounds the next hyperlink) is
    drawn around the next hyperlink," we learn from the abstract.

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

    kayodeok, Sep 7, 2004

  2. kayodeok

    Jules Guest

    On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:51:12 +0000, kayodeok wrote:

    > Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/07/microsoft_patents_keyboard_navigation/
    > http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...,785,865.WKU.&OS=PN/6,785,865&RS=PN/6,785,865
    >
    > Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
    > the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
    > 6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
    > Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
    > page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
    > years ago, in March 1997.

    Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:

    http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b123/z123.html#Navigating the Web with
    Lynx

    (and probably earlier; it was around in 1993)

    Jules, Sep 7, 2004

  3. Jules wrote:

    > Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:

    .... but not with drawing an outline around the focused element - which the
    patent specifies.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Sep 7, 2004
  4. kayodeok

    Jim Higson Guest

    Jules wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:51:12 +0000, kayodeok wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/07/microsoft_patents_keyboard_navigation/

    http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...,785,865.WKU.&OS=PN/6,785,865&RS=PN/6,785,865

    >> Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
    >> the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
    >> 6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
    >> Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
    >> page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
    >> years ago, in March 1997.

    > Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:
    >
    > http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b123/z123.html#Navigating the Web with
    > Lynx

    Besides that, using tab to go through links in hypertext is just the logical
    extension of the even older practice of tabbing through widgets in any GUI.
    AFAIK that's what the damn tab key's for!

    So MS have a patent on "using the tab key to tab" (Albeit in some context)

    Hmmm....
    I remember doing that waaay back on Amiga 500 programs.

    Jim Higson, Sep 7, 2004
  5. kayodeok

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > AFAIK that's what the damn tab key's for!

    No the tab key is used for a tab. People have just raped it for other
    meanings.

    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Sep 7, 2004
  6. Jules wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 19:51:12 +0000, kayodeok wrote:

    >> Microsoft patents tabbing through a web page
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/07/microsoft_patents_keyboard_navigation/
    >> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...,785,865.WKU.&OS=PN/6,785,865&RS=PN/6,785,865

    >> Last week Microsoft was granted an ancient patent claim covering
    >> the navigation of web pages by keyboard. According to US Patent
    >> 6,785,865 (Discoverability and navigation of hyperlinks via tabs -
    >> Cote et al), the practice of tabbing through hyperlinks on a web
    >> page now belongs to Microsoft. The claim was filed more than seven
    >> years ago, in March 1997.

    > Seems that Lynx supported tabbed link navigation in 1996:

    > http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b123/z123.html#Navigating the Web with
    > Lynx

    > (and probably earlier; it was around in 1993)

    This is just another softening-up step, along with the recent doubleclick
    patent, so when MS finally patents the alphabet nobody cares.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Go Blue

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 8, 2004
  7. kayodeok

    Jules Guest

    Jules, Sep 8, 2004
  8. kayodeok

    WebcastMaker Guest

    WebcastMaker, Sep 9, 2004
  9. kayodeok

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 21:04:16 -0400, WebcastMaker <>
    declared in alt.html:

    > Droll old humor.

    Still funny though.

    --