    anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
    it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

    thanks.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 3, 2004

  2. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Richard Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    > I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
    > However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
    > corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.

    > I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
    > image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
    > click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)

    > Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
    > same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
    > simply removed.

    > Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
    > but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
    > anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
    > it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

    > thanks.

    "Spybot search and destroy"

    When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
    running.
    If no oddball one shows up, it's most likely a setting you need to change.

    Post one of the websites and I'll check it with my IE 6.

    Richard, Feb 3, 2004

  3. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Craig Guest

    What site?

    Craig, Feb 3, 2004
  4. Richard wrote:

    > Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:
    >
    > > I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
    > > However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
    > > corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.

    > > I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
    > > image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
    > > click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)

    > > Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
    > > same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
    > > simply removed.

    > > Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
    > > but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
    > > anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
    > > it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

    > > thanks.

    > "Spybot search and destroy"
    >

    > When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
    > running.

    I tried that :)

    > If no oddball one shows up, it's most likely a setting you need to change.

    It was in Mozilla, IE, Netscape, FireBird and Opera. And I haven't even
    used Opera in months.

    www.startrek.com for one
    www.yahoo.com
    www.anything with an advert in it.com

    --
    _______________________________________
    /\ \
    \_| Legalise today |
    | http://www.norml.org |
    | |
    | | |
    | |.| |
    |web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
    |dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
    |.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
    |. |\./| .|
    | \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
    | \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
    | \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
    | \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
    | \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
    | \ .\ |.| /. / |
    | _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
    | - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
    \_/____________________________________/

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Craig wrote:

    > What site?

    *any* site with an ad in it.

    www.startrek.com for one.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 3, 2004
  6. Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 3, 2004
  7. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Craig Guest

    Not for me
    Probably spyware

    Craig, Feb 3, 2004
  8. Craig wrote:

    > Not for me

    I know it doesnt happen to other people, that's how I know there's a
    problem :)

    It isn't spyware, latest Adaware picks nothing up.

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 3, 2004
  9. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:33:41 +0000, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    <> declared in alt.html:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
    >> running.

    > I tried that :)

    And...? Check the processes, rather than just the programs.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Feb 3, 2004
  10. Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:33:41 +0000, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >>Richard wrote:
    >>

    >>>When the box comes up again, press "ctrl+alt+del" and see what progs are
    >>>running.

    >>I tried that :)
    >>

    > And...?

    Wel if it worked, I wouldn't have posted here lol :)

    > Check the processes, rather than just the programs.

    Already done with no result :(

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 3, 2004
  11. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 03:54:27 +0000, Weyoun the Dancing Borg
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Already done with no result :(

    Presumably you have checked your taskbar - nothing there?

    It could be a firewall that is doing it - do you have one installed?

    Given that it is happening in all your browsers, I agree that it has got
    to be an external program, rather than a setting somewhere.

    Mark Parnell, Feb 3, 2004
  12. Quoth the raven named Weyoun the Dancing Borg:

    > Craig wrote:
    >
    >> Not for me

    > I know it doesnt happen to other people, that's how I know there's
    > a problem :)
    >
    > It isn't spyware, latest Adaware picks nothing up.

    Spybot Search & Destroy: http://security.kolla.de/
    Be sure to get the latest updates after installation and before scanning.

    The CoolWebSearch hijacker is very hard to get rid of. Try the
    solution - the CWShredder. Read about it here:
    and download from here:

    If the above don't cure the problem, get this program
    http://www.net-integration.net/tools/hijackthis.html
    and submit the results to their forum.

    Regarding doubleclick (and other) banner ads, kill them dead with your
    HOSTS file.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 3, 2004
  13. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Richard Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    > I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
    > However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
    > corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.

    > I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
    > image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
    > click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)

    > Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
    > same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
    > simply removed.

    > Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
    > but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
    > anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
    > it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

    > thanks.

    The image says it all.
    ad.doubleclick.net.

    What you have is a nasty little cookie you don't need.
    Trash all your cookies and the problem should go away.
    If not, open the registry, search for "doubleclick.net" and delete anything
    it finds.

    Now go into tools>>internet options>> advance tab.

    Scroll down until you see a pair of lines that read "enable install on
    demand".
    Uncheck them.
    Any time something wants to get installed, you'll get asked about it.
    This is how you get these nasty little buggers because you let anything get
    installed without question.

    Richard, Feb 3, 2004
  14. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Richard Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Quoth the raven named Weyoun the Dancing Borg:

    >> Craig wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not for me

    >> I know it doesnt happen to other people, that's how I know there's
    >> a problem :)
    >>
    >> It isn't spyware, latest Adaware picks nothing up.

    > Spybot Search & Destroy: http://security.kolla.de/
    > Be sure to get the latest updates after installation and before scanning.

    > The CoolWebSearch hijacker is very hard to get rid of.

    Maybe to you it is. But I've done it without any programs.
    It's mainly stuff added to your registry.
    All you need to do is find it all and delete it.

    Richard, Feb 3, 2004
  15. > The image says it all.
    > ad.doubleclick.net.
    >
    > What you have is a nasty little cookie you don't need.
    > Trash all your cookies and the problem should go away.
    > If not, open the registry, search for "doubleclick.net" and delete anything
    > it finds.

    already done done and done and it's still there :)

    (no cookies on system atm)

    > Now go into tools>>internet options>> advance tab.
    >
    > Scroll down until you see a pair of lines that read "enable install on
    > demand".
    > Uncheck them.
    > Any time something wants to get installed, you'll get asked about it.
    > This is how you get these nasty little buggers because you let anything get
    > installed without question.

    I really dont mean to be rude but the reply that came to my head was:

    "Oh, you're assuming I'm an idiot!" :)

    Install on demand has never been used, and in any case, it's happening
    in firebird not IE (IE seems to have resigned tiself to stop warning me,
    although the adverts still dont appear).

    I've already gone through everythign that has been suggested here
    including manually searching the registry, using adaware, using search
    and destroy, fiddling with the settings in web browsers, looking for
    extra programs running etc... and still there :)

    --
    _______________________________________
    /\ \
    \_| Legalise today |
    | http://www.norml.org |
    | |
    | | |
    | |.| |
    |web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
    |dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
    |.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
    |. |\./| .|
    | \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
    | \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
    | \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
    | \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
    | \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
    | \ .\ |.| /. / |
    | _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
    | - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
    \_/____________________________________/

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg, Feb 3, 2004
  16. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    kayodeok Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg <> wrote in news:%HETb.16231$:

    > www.dancingborg.co.uk/password.gif
    > is what i get.

    Try downloading HijackThis from http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/,
    scan your PC with it and post the contents of the log to
    http://216.180.233.162/~swicom/forums/index.php
    (they will be moving back to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
    in a few days)

    Or you could try out the suggestions in
    http://www.google.com/search?q="enter username and password for" spyware
    but I think it is far-fetched and the HijackThis Log/Spyware
    Forum combination is the best bet.

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/

    kayodeok, Feb 3, 2004
  17. Weyoun the Dancing Borg <> wrote in message news:<kRDTb.16217$>...
    > I use version 0.7 and have pop ups disabled, but not adverts themselves.
    > However, whenever I visit a website with say, banner ads, or ads in the
    > corners of pages, it asks me to enter a username and password.
    >
    > I have to click "Cancel", the box goes away, and I am left with the
    > image-unavailable icon. This is incredibly annoying because I have to
    > click "Cancel" upto 10 times on some sites (one for each ad)
    >
    > Internet Explorer has this automatically removed, I used to have the
    > same problem with that, but in IE I dont get asked, the images are
    > simply removed.
    >
    > Now, obviously I have some sort of third party software installed here,
    > but I do not know what it is! I don't remember installing it - does
    > anyone have any ideas on how i can stop this annoying feature, because
    > it forces me to use IE on some sites and I don't want to?

    Add this to your HOSTS file:
    127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

    It will route all requests to ad.doubleclick.net to your loop-back
    address and will just give you a broken image.

    --
    Hywel

    Hywel Jenkins, Feb 3, 2004
  18. Hywel Jenkins wrote:

    > Add this to your HOSTS file:
    > 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net

    > It will route all requests to ad.doubleclick.net to your loop-back
    > address and will just give you a broken image.

    It's a shame hosts doesn't allow wildcards.

    Here's the doubleclick section from my downloaded hosts file. Yes, many are
    country-specific, but not all.

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/doubleclick.txt

    --
    Blinky Linux RU 4892F
    Happily slrning again.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 3, 2004
  19. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Richard Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    >> The image says it all.
    >> ad.doubleclick.net.
    >>
    >> What you have is a nasty little cookie you don't need.
    >> Trash all your cookies and the problem should go away.
    >> If not, open the registry, search for "doubleclick.net" and delete
    >> anything it finds.

    > already done done and done and it's still there :)

    > (no cookies on system atm)

    >> Now go into tools>>internet options>> advance tab.
    >>
    >> Scroll down until you see a pair of lines that read "enable install on
    >> demand".
    >> Uncheck them.
    >> Any time something wants to get installed, you'll get asked about it.
    >> This is how you get these nasty little buggers because you let anything
    >> get installed without question.

    > I really dont mean to be rude but the reply that came to my head was:

    > "Oh, you're assuming I'm an idiot!" :)

    > Install on demand has never been used, and in any case, it's happening
    > in firebird not IE (IE seems to have resigned tiself to stop warning me,
    > although the adverts still dont appear).

    > I've already gone through everythign that has been suggested here
    > including manually searching the registry, using adaware, using search
    > and destroy, fiddling with the settings in web browsers, looking for
    > extra programs running etc... and still there :)

    Just makin sure you hit all the bases and perhaps you have.
    Something is still lingering.
    If it's only in firebird, check the options and preferences for anything
    about passwords.
    Uninstall it. run easy cleaner again, then reinstall.

    You wouldn't happen to have kazaa or other file sharing progs?
    How about when it started to first happen?
    Do you recall what progs were installed about then?
    Maybe one was removed and it didn't really totally remove everything.

    Doubleclick is a tricky little bastard. They like to take over any way they
    can.

    What would happen if you just filled out the password stuff with something
    just to see what happens?

    That might give you a clue as to where it's coming from.

    I'm gonna download it and see if I can find anything for you.

    Richard, Feb 3, 2004
  20. Weyoun the Dancing Borg

    Richard Guest

    Weyoun the Dancing Borg wrote:

    >> The image says it all.
    >> ad.doubleclick.net.
    >>
    >> What you have is a nasty little cookie you don't need.
    >> Trash all your cookies and the problem should go away.
    >> If not, open the registry, search for "doubleclick.net" and delete
    >> anything it finds.

    > already done done and done and it's still there :)

    > (no cookies on system atm)

    >> Now go into tools>>internet options>> advance tab.
    >>
    >> Scroll down until you see a pair of lines that read "enable install on
    >> demand".
    >> Uncheck them.
    >> Any time something wants to get installed, you'll get asked about it.
    >> This is how you get these nasty little buggers because you let anything
    >> get installed without question.

    > I really dont mean to be rude but the reply that came to my head was:

    > "Oh, you're assuming I'm an idiot!" :)

    > Install on demand has never been used, and in any case, it's happening
    > in firebird not IE (IE seems to have resigned tiself to stop warning me,
    > although the adverts still dont appear).

    > I've already gone through everythign that has been suggested here
    > including manually searching the registry, using adaware, using search
    > and destroy, fiddling with the settings in web browsers, looking for
    > extra programs running etc... and still there :)

    The only other thing I can suggest now is to go through your download
    manager and see what all it downloaded.

    Richard, Feb 3, 2004