Semi OT - Mozilla FireBird

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

The only other thing I can suggest now is to go through your download
manager and see what all it downloaded.

I dont keep logs
--
_______________________________________
/\ \
\_| Legalise today |
| http://www.norml.org |
| |
| | |
| |.| |
|web: http://www. |.| e-mail: weyoun@|
|dancingborg |\./| dancingborg|
|.co.uk |\./| .co.uk|
|. |\./| .|
| \^.\ |\\.//| /.^/ |
| \--.|\ |\\.//| /|.--/ |
| \--.| \ |\\.//| / |.--/ |
| \---.|\ |\./| /|.---/ |
| \--.|\ |\./| /|.--/ |
| \ .\ |.| /. / |
| _ -_^_^_^_- \ \\ // / -_^_^_^_- _ |
| - -/_/_/- ^ ^ | ^ ^ -\_\_\- - |
| __________________________________|__
\_/____________________________________/

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Blinky said:
Hywel Jenkins wrote:

It's a shame hosts doesn't allow wildcards.

Here's the doubleclick section from my downloaded hosts file. Yes, many are
country-specific, but not all.

http://blinkynet.net/stuff/doubleclick.txt

thanks, I shall try it :)

Now I *can* be an idiot: What is the hosts file? :) I did a search in
all my fireb firestories for "host" and couldn't find it? thanks

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

thanks, I shall try it :)
Now I *can* be an idiot: What is the hosts file? :) I did a search in
all my fireb firestories for "host" and couldn't find it? thanks

I did a full system search afte rI did a google and I found the file,
added the entires, also added 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net and it still
doesn't work :)

A Hess

Somewhere around 2/2/04 9:19 PM, Beauregard T. Shagnasty typed wildly
with reckless abandon:
Quoth the raven named Weyoun the Dancing Borg:

Spybot Search & Destroy: http://security.kolla.de/
Be sure to get the latest updates after installation and before scanning.
Regarding doubleclick (and other) banner ads, kill them dead with your
HOSTS file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/

Also, the HOSTS file included with Spybot Search and Destroy is very good.

PLUS, I use this with Firebird:
http://texturizer.net/firebird/adblock.html
It offers a bunch more protection against ads that aren't in the HOSTS
file. It's really quite handy.

A Hess

Somewhere around 2/3/04 6:17 AM, Weyoun the Dancing Borg typed wildly
with reckless abandon:
I did a full system search afte rI did a google and I found the file,
added the entires, also added 127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net and it still
doesn't work :)

Something to keep in mind: The HOSTS file has NO extension. Depending on
the program you used to edit it, it may have added a .txt extension. You
need to make sure this didn't happen

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Richard:
Maybe to you it is. But I've done it without any programs.
It's mainly stuff added to your registry.
All you need to do is find it all and delete it.

I wouldn't know. I've never been hijacked. If you have, you aren't
practicing safe hex.

Web sites about CWS claim it is hard to clean. And do you expect non
power users to muck about in the registry?

You still have not fixed your OE to remove the extra space before the
">" quoted text symbol.

Blinky the Shark

Nice one. I have a downloadable hosts file on my site - mind if I
integrate your list?

Not at all -- but it's not really mine (as I intended to indicate by
calling it a section of a "downloaded hosts file"). Probably better
yet, you might want to take a look at my source. Link here:

http://accs-net.com/hosts/

Enjoy.

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Something to keep in mind: The HOSTS file has NO extension. Depending on
the program you used to edit it, it may have added a .txt extension. You
need to make sure this didn't happen

confirmed, file is called "HOSTS" only. No extension and when i double
click it always asks which program i want to use to open with. I do not
click on "always use this..."