Semi OT: Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV

Discussion in 'HTML' started by kayodeok, Sep 10, 2004.

  1. kayodeok

    kayodeok Guest

    Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV
    http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2004/09/09/

    In connection with the International Broadcasting Convention
    (IBC) 2004, Opera Software today unveiled a new edition of its
    screen rendering technologies, this time tailored for the
    television. TV Rendering (TVR) makes the necessary adjustments
    to perfectly display any Web page on any TV screen, opening up
    for a great Internet experience on TV sets for the first time.

    With Web pages being designed for viewing on high-resolution
    desktop computer monitors, TV screens with their low
    resolution and varying screen sizes have not been able to
    emulate a satisfactory Internet experience. Today's release of
    TVR for the first time introduces users of broadband enabled
    set-top boxes (STB), or other iTV related hardware, to the
    potential of full Internet browsing that is as true and
    content-rich as experienced with desktop computers. TVR
    focuses on pixelation and problematic colors, adapting
    different elements individually to suit the TV screen.
    Original fonts, colors, design, and style are left virtually
    untouched.

    --
    Kayode Okeyode
    http://www.kayodeok.co.uk/weblog/
    kayodeok, Sep 10, 2004

  2. kayodeok

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Sep 10, 2004

  3. kayodeok

    rf Guest

    kayodeok wrote:

    > Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV

    Oh shit. Just when we were almost getting used to the problems in *browsers*
    :-(

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 10, 2004
  4. kayodeok

    Els Guest

    Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On 10 Sep 2004 07:23:35 GMT, kayodeok
    > <> declared in alt.html:
    >
    >> Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV
    >> http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2004/09/09/

    > Maybe now those 2 users of WebTV will switch. :)

    <g>

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Els, Sep 10, 2004
  5. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:28:59 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > kayodeok wrote:
    >
    >> Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV

    > Oh shit. Just when we were almost getting used to the problems in
    > *browsers*

    Look at it this way: at least it wasn't Microsoft that released it. :D

    Seriously though, is there a lot to worry about? The press release just
    states that TVR makes Webpage rendering better on a TV. If it also uses
    embedded Opera 7, or some other well-behaved software[1], to layout the
    page, would this technology cause significant problems?

    Mike

    [1] I'm not saying that the embedded Opera browser is well-behaved; I've
    never used it. However, at least Opera is one of the better browser
    developers around.

    --
    Michael Winter
    Michael Winter, Sep 10, 2004
  6. kayodeok

    Jim Higson Guest

    rf wrote:

    > kayodeok wrote:
    >
    >> Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pages on TV

    > Oh shit. Just when we were almost getting used to the problems in
    > *browsers*
    > :-(

    No problem. Given the choice I'd support *ten* Opera derivatives over just
    version six of IE.

    I've never seen a standards respecting site badly broken in a recent Opera
    browser.
    Jim Higson, Sep 10, 2004
  7. On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 09:54:29 +0000, Michael Winter wrote:

    > [1] I'm not saying that the embedded Opera browser is well-behaved; I've
    > never used it. However, at least Opera is one of the better browser
    > developers around.

    FWIW, Opera Emberdded is about as well behaved as opera 7 proper.

    I've seen it in use on a handheld device (Sharep Zaurus SL6000) and it is
    a very capable browser.

    --
    Jeffrey Silverman

    ** Drop "PANTS" to reply by email
    Jeffrey Silverman, Sep 10, 2004
  8. Re: Semi OT: Opera releases a browser aimed at viewing Web pageson TV

    >(Mark Parnell)
    >Maybe now those 2 users of WebTV will
    >switch. :)

    No.... not me or not myself either...

    Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
    http://www.davmagic.com
    Paint A House
    http://www.paintahouse.com
    NOTE: This emailbox is CLOSED do NOT reply!!!
    Davmagic .Com, Sep 10, 2004