    parking and all that? If I have, for example, foo.com and foo.net, will I
    get punished for it?

    -Karl
    Karl Core, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Karl Core

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Karl Core wrote:

    > I seem to remember hearing someone say that multiple domains pointing to the
    > same site is a bad idea and that Google will punish you if you do that.
    > The question I have is, under what circumstances? Does this include domain
    > parking and all that? If I have, for example, foo.com and foo.net, will I
    > get punished for it?

    I'm sure that won't be a problem.

    It seems to me that Google is more concerned about spammy operations such as
    the following:

    www.translatorfrench.com
    www.translatorchinese.com
    www.translatorgerman.com
    .... etc ...

    These sites are all totally useless and appear to have been dumped by
    Google. However, they still rank quite highly in Alta Vista and Yahoo. (Who
    said Google was broken?)

    To be on the safe side, I suggest you restrict your content to just one of
    these sites. In the other, use a .htaccess file to redirect everything
    automatically.

    You'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

    --
    Philip Ronan

    Philip Ronan, Oct 27, 2004

  3. Karl Core

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:20:57 -0400, "Karl Core"
    <> wrote:

    >I seem to remember hearing someone say that multiple domains pointing to the
    >same site is a bad idea and that Google will punish you if you do that.
    >The question I have is, under what circumstances? Does this include domain
    >parking and all that? If I have, for example, foo.com and foo.net, will I
    >get punished for it?
    >
    >-Karl

    Depends really what you mean by "have" in this context. If they're
    just parked, ie not used for anything, then that's no problem.
    If you put up a site worshipping the once and future Karl on foo.com
    and leave foo.net parked, no problem. If you later dulicate the
    content on foo.net, then Google will eventually, like when it notices,
    ban foo.net from the index.
    Thought you knew everything Karl.

    BB

    www.kruse.co.uk
    The home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Oct 27, 2004
  4. Karl Core

    Karl Core Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message

    > Thought you knew everything Karl.

    Now I do! Thanks for clearing that last bit up for me.

    -Karl
    Karl Core, Oct 27, 2004
  5. Karl Core

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 18:47:21 -0400, "Karl Core"
    <> wrote:

    >"Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    >

    >> Thought you knew everything Karl.

    >Now I do! Thanks for clearing that last bit up for me.
    >
    >-Karl

    Thassok.

    BB

    www.kruse.co.uk
    The home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Oct 28, 2004
  6. Karl Core

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:22:05 +0100, Philip Ronan
    <> wrote:

    >Karl Core wrote:
    >
    >> I seem to remember hearing someone say that multiple domains pointing to the
    >> same site is a bad idea and that Google will punish you if you do that.
    >> The question I have is, under what circumstances? Does this include domain
    >> parking and all that? If I have, for example, foo.com and foo.net, will I
    >> get punished for it?

    >I'm sure that won't be a problem.
    >
    >It seems to me that Google is more concerned about spammy operations such as
    >the following:
    >
    >www.translatorfrench.com
    >www.translatorchinese.com
    >www.translatorgerman.com
    >... etc ...
    >
    >These sites are all totally useless and appear to have been dumped by
    >Google. However, they still rank quite highly in Alta Vista and Yahoo. (Who
    >said Google was broken?)

    I did.

    >To be on the safe side, I suggest you restrict your content to just one of
    >these sites. In the other, use a .htaccess file to redirect everything
    >automatically.
    >
    >You'll be fine. Don't worry about it.

    I dunno about that actually. Not being bitchy, just dunno. You saying
    301 or 302?

    BB
    www.kruse.co.uk
    The home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Oct 28, 2004
  7. Karl Core

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Toby Inkster, Oct 28, 2004
  8. Karl Core

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:56:51 +0100, Toby Inkster
    <> wrote:

    > Big Bill wrote:
    >
    >> www.kruse.co.uk
    >> The home of SEO that's shiny!

    > Yay! Take SEO advice from someone who's not in the first 20 results for
    > "Kruse".

    Why would he optimise for his name? Who would search for an SEO guy based
    on that? If they know the name, they probably don't want to search for
    it...
    Neal, Oct 28, 2004
  9. Karl Core

    Big Bill Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Big Bill wrote:
    >
    >> www.kruse.co.uk
    >> The home of SEO that's shiny!

    >Yay! Take SEO advice from someone who's not in the first 20 results for
    >"Kruse".

    It's my name, you pratt! Why would I optimise for my own bleedin'
    name? You optimise for what you do, not who you are!
    Anyway, I'm fifty-something for kruse, I went and had a look. I am 3rd
    for optimisation resources though, which ain't too shabby, and of
    course remain the one, the only, Big Bill Kruse that the web has
    apparently to offer!
    Yay me!

    BB
    www.kruse.co.uk
    The home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Oct 28, 2004
  10. Karl Core

    Big Bill Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:05:27 -0400, Neal <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 18:56:51 +0100, Toby Inkster
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Big Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>> www.kruse.co.uk
    >>> The home of SEO that's shiny!

    >> Yay! Take SEO advice from someone who's not in the first 20 results for
    >> "Kruse".

    >Why would he optimise for his name? Who would search for an SEO guy based
    >on that? If they know the name, they probably don't want to search for
    >it...

    I'm hurt now.

    BB
    www.kruse.co.uk
    The home of SEO that's shiny!
    Big Bill, Oct 28, 2004
  11. Karl Core

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > Why would he optimise for his name? Who would search for an SEO guy based
    > on that? If they know the name, they probably don't want to search for
    > it...

    You'd be surprised. I often see people Google for company names even when
    they *can* remember the URL -- it's just less typing.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Oct 28, 2004
  12. Karl Core wrote:

    > I seem to remember hearing someone say that multiple
    > domains pointing to the same site is a bad idea and that
    > Google will punish you if you do that. The question I have
    > is, under what circumstances? Does this include domain
    > parking and all that? If I have, for example, foo.com and
    > foo.net, will I get punished for it?

    yep - for the most part I'm in agreement with the folk that
    suggest a redirect is a good plan.

    does seem like a waste of a perfectly good domain though. There
    must be more useful ways to capitalise on the resource - use it
    to deliver slightly o/t articles around the same subject
    perhaps, with a good cross-link strategy maybe?

    --
    William Tasso
    William Tasso, Oct 29, 2004