(semi-troll): Is Jython development dead?

Sloan.Kohler

Is Jython development dead or has it just seemed that way for over a
year?. The jython.org website has a recent new appearance (but no new
content) and there is some message traffic on the developer site at
Sourceforge. However nothing has been released for over a year (i.e.
no support for Python 2.3, 2.4 or 2.5). Is seems that IronPython may
have a better future than Jython.

I know this is a bit of a troll but I'm concerned about choosing Jython
as the basis for a cross platform test scipt execution environment.
Does anyone know if a Jython update is imminent?

- Sloan

Ray

Is Jython development dead or has it just seemed that way for over a
year?. The jython.org website has a recent new appearance (but no new
content) and there is some message traffic on the developer site at
Sourceforge. However nothing has been released for over a year (i.e.
no support for Python 2.3, 2.4 or 2.5). Is seems that IronPython may
have a better future than Jython.

I know this is a bit of a troll but I'm concerned about choosing Jython
as the basis for a cross platform test scipt execution environment.
Does anyone know if a Jython update is imminent?

There was a time when Jython walked like the dead and quacked like the
dead but if you dared calling it dead or asking whether it was really
dead you'd be admonished that it was open source and you should've just
gone to the repository and hack some Jython code. (Or the ever popular
response: that Jython 2.1 works <insert some nice-sounding adjective
here, e.g.: beautifully, perfectly, etc.>, so why bother asking about
2.2 and beyond?).

Also, thankfully, it's picking up again, thanks to Frank Wierzbicki,
et. al.--just check out the jython-dev mailing list, seems that new
bloods are coming in. AFAIK they're trying to get a release for 2.2
ASAP, then from there go to other versions--I think there was even a
talk about jumping versions (e.g.: probably skipping 2.3 or something)
somewhere in the list... I'm not sure how it was concluded though.
Personally after 2.2 is out I think they might as well jump to 2.5
straightaway.

So, what is your main concern here that 2.1 doesn't address? Because if
your concern is that you're using a dead thing as your environment,
it's rising from the dead. But if your concern is that you want to use
features in Python 2.4 in Jython, might as well look for other
solutions--it'll be some time before a version that supports that comes
out.

Steve Holden

Ray said:
[...]

As a PSF director I might add that the Foundation has certainly tried to
encourage onward development of Jython, and would like to continue doing
so: it's healthy to have an ecosystem of different implementations, and
Jython represents great visibility for Python in the Java world.

regards
Steve

John Roth

Ray said:
So, what is your main concern here that 2.1 doesn't address? Because if
your concern is that you're using a dead thing as your environment,
it's rising from the dead. But if your concern is that you want to use
features in Python 2.4 in Jython, might as well look for other
solutions--it'll be some time before a version that supports that comes
out.

And that is exactly the point. I've had a couple of
inquiries about Jython support in PyFIT, and I've
had to say that it simply isn't supported. The latest
point release requires Python 2.3, and 2.4 will be
required in the next year or so.

John Roth
Python FIT