[SemiOT] Concerning package names

Daniel Berger

All,

Please do me a favor and stop putting "ruby" in your package names. I
know it's Ruby. No one is going to accidentally think they were
supposed to get a Java library from the RAA. Besides, you're screwing
up my tab autocomplete. :p

That is all.

Regards,

Dan

Florian Gross

Daniel said:
Please do me a favor and stop putting "ruby" in your package names. I
know it's Ruby. No one is going to accidentally think they were
supposed to get a Java library from the RAA. Besides, you're screwing
up my tab autocomplete. :p

I think that it is a good idea at least for Ruby libraries which are
just bindings to libraries written in other languages. (C and C++ for
example.)

Without the "ruby"-prefix there would be a name collision in that case.
Regards,
Dan

More regards,
Florian Gross

Alex McHale

I think perhaps the point being for in the Ruby-centric repositories
for libraries to not be named sqlite-ruby or ruby-sqlite as it is.
Talk about confusing, that example kills me. I don't think that
anyone would argue with it being named ruby-sqlite or ruby-mysql, etc,
in the Debian repositories?

Alex McHale

gabriele renzi

I think perhaps the point being for in the Ruby-centric repositories
for libraries to not be named sqlite-ruby or ruby-sqlite as it is.
Talk about confusing, that example kills me. I don't think that
anyone would argue with it being named ruby-sqlite or ruby-mysql, etc,
in the Debian repositories?

Alex McHale

and what if I need to look for it on google or other search engines?
Knowing a pkg's name may be useful from time to time, and it ned to be
classified in this cases.
I agree that for libraries that are not bindings to existing one the
ruby prefix/suffix may be omitted but not that great problem anyway ;P