Send a buffer over network

syncman

I know C++ pretty well, but there are some things I have never tried
in C++. I want to make a super-fast program to perform a few tasks in
parallel (with threads), and eventually send data over the network.
How do you actually do that? I used sockets years ago, but is that
the best way?

While this isn't a purely language issue, it might fit here because I
want a library that accepts a C++ stream, etc. If you want to keep
your answer short (just the package name) or refer to me to another
group, that's fine.

Thanks.