Send email form problem

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Bruce W.1, Jun 7, 2004.

  1. Bruce W.1

    Bruce W.1 Guest

    I'm new to ASP (but not ASP.NET) and I'm trying to setup a simple ASP
    web form to send an email to me. So I try this code:
    http://www.library.unr.edu/subjects/guides/mailplay.asp

    I upload the web page file to my hosting company, which is running
    Windows 2000, and I get this error message:

    CDO.Message.1 error '80040220'
    The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
    /mailplay.asp, line 63

    FYI, line 63 is:
    objMail.Send

    So now I'm confused.

    I assume that my hosting company has all the latest microsoft updates.
    I'm not sure if it's using CDONTS, CDO, or CDOSYS. On these I'm also a
    little confused.

    I'd feel better if I specified the SMTP server, but I guess CDO takes
    care of this right?

    Can anyone tell me what's wrong here?

    Thanks for your help.

    Bruce W.1, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Bruce W.1

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 16:08:18 -0400, "Bruce W.1" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm new to ASP (but not ASP.NET) and I'm trying to setup a simple ASP
    >web form to send an email to me. So I try this code:
    > http://www.library.unr.edu/subjects/guides/mailplay.asp
    >
    >I upload the web page file to my hosting company, which is running
    >Windows 2000, and I get this error message:
    >
    > CDO.Message.1 error '80040220'
    > The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
    > /mailplay.asp, line 63
    >
    >FYI, line 63 is:
    > objMail.Send
    >
    >So now I'm confused.

    So are we. :)

    The line in question generated the error because a previous line has
    an error. Use Response.Write to write out the message parameters for
    your configuration.

    >I assume that my hosting company has all the latest microsoft updates.

    I assume that you won't have to assume if you ask.

    >I'm not sure if it's using CDONTS, CDO, or CDOSYS. On these I'm also a
    >little confused.

    The script is CDO.SYS (CDO is the same thing...). If your host isn't
    using it, then neither can you. Ask them.

    >I'd feel better if I specified the SMTP server, but I guess CDO takes
    >care of this right?

    No, you need to specify the server if you're not using the default
    SMTP service on the server the script runs on. Or a different method,
    defined in the SendUsing field.

    >Can anyone tell me what's wrong here?

    You didn't contact your ISP and ask them what methods they had
    available to send email. :)

    The SendUsing field is basically the method CDO uses to send the
    message. It could be dropped in a pickup folder, the default if you
    have a default SMTP server, or sent over a port number to a non-local
    SMTP server, specified in the SMTPServer field.

    You'll need to contact your ISP to see what they use for sending mail
    from a web page, it won't do you any good to test configs until you
    have theuir settings/process.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jun 7, 2004