Send email form problem

Bruce W.1

I'm new to ASP (but not ASP.NET) and I'm trying to setup a simple ASP
web form to send an email to me. So I try this code:
http://www.library.unr.edu/subjects/guides/mailplay.asp

I upload the web page file to my hosting company, which is running
Windows 2000, and I get this error message:

CDO.Message.1 error '80040220'
The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
/mailplay.asp, line 63

FYI, line 63 is:
objMail.Send

So now I'm confused.

I assume that my hosting company has all the latest microsoft updates.
I'm not sure if it's using CDONTS, CDO, or CDOSYS. On these I'm also a
little confused.

I'd feel better if I specified the SMTP server, but I guess CDO takes
care of this right?

Can anyone tell me what's wrong here?

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Cochran

I'm new to ASP (but not ASP.NET) and I'm trying to setup a simple ASP
web form to send an email to me. So I try this code:
http://www.library.unr.edu/subjects/guides/mailplay.asp

I upload the web page file to my hosting company, which is running
Windows 2000, and I get this error message:

CDO.Message.1 error '80040220'
The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.
/mailplay.asp, line 63

FYI, line 63 is:
objMail.Send

So now I'm confused.

So are we. :)

The line in question generated the error because a previous line has
an error. Use Response.Write to write out the message parameters for
your configuration.
I assume that my hosting company has all the latest microsoft updates.

I assume that you won't have to assume if you ask.
I'm not sure if it's using CDONTS, CDO, or CDOSYS. On these I'm also a
little confused.

The script is CDO.SYS (CDO is the same thing...). If your host isn't
using it, then neither can you. Ask them.
I'd feel better if I specified the SMTP server, but I guess CDO takes
care of this right?

No, you need to specify the server if you're not using the default
SMTP service on the server the script runs on. Or a different method,
defined in the SendUsing field.
Can anyone tell me what's wrong here?

You didn't contact your ISP and ask them what methods they had
available to send email. :)

The SendUsing field is basically the method CDO uses to send the
message. It could be dropped in a pickup folder, the default if you
have a default SMTP server, or sent over a port number to a non-local
SMTP server, specified in the SMTPServer field.

You'll need to contact your ISP to see what they use for sending mail
from a web page, it won't do you any good to test configs until you
have theuir settings/process.

Jeff