Send "Forgotted password" via email

groupie

Hi,
I'd like to know how to implement the "Forgot Password" feature on
many websites which require a login, exactly like this ebay example:
http://cgi4.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?UserIdRecognizerShow

I've already retrieved the users password from the database - I just
need to send it to the email address entered.

From reading many posts, I need a server-side script and rather not
use form mailto: nor use javascript on the users PC.

Any help/pointers appreciated.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

groupie said:
I'd like to know how to implement the "Forgot Password" feature on
many websites which require a login, exactly like this ebay example:
http://cgi4.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?UserIdRecognizerShow
[...]
I've already retrieved the users password from the database - I just
need to send it to the email address entered.

From reading many posts, I need a server-side script and rather not
use form mailto: nor use javascript on the users PC.

That is correct. You have server-side J(ava)Script (.NET) available, then?

PointedEars

groupie

groupie said:
I'd like to know how to implement the "Forgot Password" feature on
many websites which require a login, exactly like this ebay example:
http://cgi4.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?UserIdRecognizerShow
[...]
I've already retrieved the users password from the database - I just
need to send it to the email address entered.
From reading many posts, I need a server-side script and rather not
use form mailto: nor use javascript on the users PC.

That is correct.  You have server-side J(ava)Script (.NET) available, then?

PointedEars
  -- Richard Cornford, cljs, <[email protected]>

Thanks PointedEars.
Yes, server-side scripting is available. Not exactly sure what the
final server platform will be, so not sure about PHP. Would rather not
start mixing languages anyway since most is already written in
javascript ASP pages.

So any ideas how to get the server to send an email to the address I
supply? I've been playing with Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message") but
is giving me errors at the moment.

Thanks.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

groupie said:
groupie said:
I'd like to know how to implement the "Forgot Password" feature on
many websites which require a login, exactly like this ebay example:
http://cgi4.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?UserIdRecognizerShow
[...]
I've already retrieved the users password from the database - I just
need to send it to the email address entered.
From reading many posts, I need a server-side script and rather not
use form mailto: nor use javascript on the users PC.
That is correct. You have server-side J(ava)Script (.NET) available, then?
[...]

Thanks PointedEars.
Yes, server-side scripting is available. Not exactly sure what the
final server platform will be, so not sure about PHP. Would rather not
start mixing languages anyway since most is already written in
javascript ASP pages.

I did not mention PHP.
http://search.msdn.microsoft.com/se...l&brand=msdn&locale=&refinement=00&lang=en-us

I've been playing with Server.CreateObject("CDO.Message") but
is giving me errors at the moment.

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/clj_posts.html#ps1DontWork

However, if the above does not help, I think you better ask in an ASP
newsgroup like

PointedEars