    numnber of applications that use CDONTS to send mail from both ASP and
    ASPX pages. If the server is down mail does not get sent. I do not see a
    way to determine this by code. Does anyone know of a way?

    George Viveiros, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Use CDO.Message and a *RELIABLE* SMTP server.

    If you really want to stick with deprecated functionality like CDONTS, you
    can check the pickup, queue and badmail folders using FileSystemObject.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Nov 17, 2003

  3. 1. What other options are there besides CDONTS?

    2. Where would one find some code examples to check the pickup, queue
    and badmail folders?

    George Viveiros, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Didn`t catch: Use CDO.Message and a *RELIABLE* SMTP server, at first.
    What do you consider a *RELIABLE* SMTP server?

    George Viveiros, Nov 18, 2003
  5. > What do you consider a *RELIABLE* SMTP server?

    One where you don't have to worry about what happens when, as you stated,
    "the server is down."

    A reliable SMTP server is just up, and stays up.

    Aaron Bertrand - MVP, Nov 18, 2003
  6. > 1. What other options are there besides CDONTS?

    Like I said, CDO.Message (see http://www.aspfaq.com/2026), or there are
    plenty of 3rd party options, e.g. http://www.aspfaq.com/2119

    > 2. Where would one find some code examples to check the pickup, queue
    > and badmail folders?

    You would use FileSystemObject. Here is a quick sample (I have no idea what
    the path to *your* badmail folder would be):

    set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    set fold = fso.getFolder("c:\...path...\badmail\")
    for each fil in fold.files
    response.write fil.name & "<br>"
    next
    set fold = nothing