send method CDONTS.NewMail

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by vasanth kumar, Aug 1, 2004.

  1. I am running the following script for sending e-mail thro web

    Set objCDOMail = Server.CreateObject("CDONTS.NewMail")
    objCDOMail.From = ""
    objCDOMail.To = ""
    objCDOMail.Subject = "Library books"
    objCDOMail.BodyFormat = 0
    objCDOMail.MailFormat = 0
    objCDOMail.Body = "hi"
    objCDOMail.Send
    Set objCDOMail = Nothing
    -------------------------
    I get the following error, when I call send method of CDONTS.NewMail object
    ---------------------
    Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a0046'
    Permission denied

    /cae/library/issueupdate.asp, line 61

    ----------------------------

    I tried both the following. Everything looks fine. My OS is windows200
    server

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286301

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197619

    Can somebody give a clue, what is going wrong

    Any help is appreciated

    -Vasanth

    vasanth kumar, Aug 1, 2004

  2. vasanth kumar

    dlbjr Guest

    Check User Rights in the SMTP Virtual Server in IIS.
    I would suggest using CDO instead of CDONTS.

    Set objCDOMail = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    objCDOMail.From = ""
    objCDOMail.To = ""
    objCDOMail.Subject = "Library books"
    objCDOMail.BodyFormat = 0
    objCDOMail.MailFormat = 0
    objCDOMail.Body = "hi"
    objCDOMail.Send
    Set objCDOMail = Nothing

    dlbjr
    Pleading sagacious indoctrination!

    dlbjr, Aug 1, 2004

  3. Only administrators have permissions for SMTP Virtual Server in IIS. Who
    else should have?

    vasanth kumar, Aug 1, 2004
  4. now I get the following error. when I call send method
    CDO.Message.1 error '80040220'

    The "SendUsing" configuration value is invalid.

    /cae/library/cdomail.asp, line 31

    vasanth kumar, Aug 1, 2004
  5. Stop using CDONTS!
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2026

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 2, 2004
  6. I disabled Anonymous Access for my webfolder.
    I gave Authentication as Basic Authentication.
    users login to this folder and update data. here I am running a script for
    sending a mail.
    The logged user does not have modify/write permission to the
    inetpub/wwwrot/mailroot/pickup folder.
    so my script is failing(as Permisson Denied") when I call send method of
    CDONTS.NewMail object.
    I gave modify permissions to all the users of this tool for
    inetpub/wwwrot/mailroot/pickup folder.
    then my script is successful.

    Is this right way? How do people handle this kind of situation.
    is there any danger in doing the above step?

    Any suggestion appreciated

    Regards,
    Vasanth

    vasanth kumar, Aug 3, 2004
  7. ASP.Net has its own SMTP solution (which may use CDO behind the scenes, I'm
    not sure... but the code you will use is certainly a re-write). Please
    follow up in a .NET newsgroup for more information.

    --
    http://www.aspfaq.com/
    (Reverse address to reply.)

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Aug 24, 2004