Send result from one browser window to another

Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a Struts application. In the main window, I have a list of items. The requirement is to have hyper links on these items that will bring up the details of these items, in a separate window. I know that in standard HTML, I can use target="_blank" to bring up the 2nd window. I also know that with Struts tag I can also use target="_blank". However, if I have this in my HREF, it will bring up a new window every time. The requirement is to use the same 2nd window for display. How do I do that?

Thanks.

Joined
Sep 20, 2006
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
This is more of an HTML question than a Java question. There is nothing special about Struts in these cases. My HTML is rusty, but I believe target can have any legal value. The special reserved cases are like

_top
_self
_blank
_parent

Otherwise, you can use about any name, like

<P><A HREF="http://www.google.com" TARGET="foo">Link 1</A></P>
<P><A HREF="http://www.yahoo.com" TARGET="foo">Link 2</A></P>

Try it in a basic HTML document. They will open in the same window. Doesn't matter much what the names are -- the browser keeps track of them within the DOM.

Regards,

Matthew

Joined
Sep 27, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
staying on top

Yes this method works and it does send the result to the new browser window. Now, how do I keep the 2nd window staying on top? I saw some Javascript example of opening and keeping window on top but I don't know how to combine the two.