    message. Any help is appreciated.
    --
    David
    DavidC, Jan 25, 2010

  2. On Jan 26, 12:00 am, DavidC <> wrote:
    > Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone?  We
    > are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a text
    > message.  Any help is appreciated.
    > --
    > David

    You need to use a service which will be able to send messages in your
    country.

    Here's an example of such service and using it
    http://www.webservicex.net/WCF/ServiceDetails.aspx?SID=20
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/SendingSMS.aspx

    Hope this helps
    Alexey Smirnov, Jan 25, 2010

  3. DavidC

    Paul Shapiro Guest

    "DavidC" <> wrote in message
    > Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone?
    > We
    > are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a
    > text
    > message. Any help is appreciated.
    > --
    > David

    I don't know if it's universal, but for both Verizon and Sprint in the USA
    you can email a message to an email address built from the phone number and
    the carrier's text-messaging mail domain. For example, for Verizon an email
    to would be delivered as a text message to phone number
    999-123-4567. I think messages are limited to about 160 characters, so you
    have to break up the message into multiple emails if it's longer than the
    limit.
    Paul Shapiro, Jan 26, 2010
  4. On Jan 26, 4:39 am, "Paul Shapiro" <>
    wrote:
    > "DavidC" <> wrote in message

    > > Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone?
    > > We
    > > are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a
    > > text
    > > message.  Any help is appreciated.
    > > --
    > > David

    > I don't know if it's universal, but for both Verizon and Sprint in the USA
    > you can email a message to an email address built from the phone number and
    > the carrier's text-messaging mail domain. For example, for Verizon an email
    > to would be delivered as a text message to phone number
    > 999-123-4567. I think messages are limited to about 160 characters, so you
    > have to break up the message into multiple emails if it's longer than the
    > limit.

    Yes, some providers do such services, but this is not universal.

    I found a good post by Kevin Jones, I think he covered most of the
    questions you may have here: http://forums.asp.net/t/1459384.aspx

    Hope this helps
    Alexey Smirnov, Jan 26, 2010
  5. Here is a list of providers you can send to via email. As much as possible,
    this is a good direction, as it is less costly than setting up an SMS
    gateway.
    http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/

    Then you use your normal email mechanism to send SMS, remembering to keep
    messages short for these clients.

    For other providers, you have a couple of choices:

    1. Set up your own SMS gateway. There are some open source implementations
    out there, none in .NET yet that I know of, however.
    2. Work with an SMS gateway service provider.

    The second option is a bit more costly in the long run, but generally far
    easier to set up.

    --
    Peace and Grace,
    Greg