Send text message to phone

DavidC

Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone? We
are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a text
message. Any help is appreciated.

Paul Shapiro

DavidC said:
Is there a way in asp.net to send a text message to someones cell phone?
We
are sending email out using System.Net.Mail but not sure how to send a
text
message. Any help is appreciated.

I don't know if it's universal, but for both Verizon and Sprint in the USA
you can email a message to an email address built from the phone number and
the carrier's text-messaging mail domain. For example, for Verizon an email
to (e-mail address removed) would be delivered as a text message to phone number
999-123-4567. I think messages are limited to about 160 characters, so you
have to break up the message into multiple emails if it's longer than the
limit.

Guest

I don't know if it's universal, but for both Verizon and Sprint in the USA
you can email a message to an email address built from the phone number and
the carrier's text-messaging mail domain. For example, for Verizon an email
to (e-mail address removed) would be delivered as a text message to phone number
999-123-4567. I think messages are limited to about 160 characters, so you
have to break up the message into multiple emails if it's longer than the
limit.

Yes, some providers do such services, but this is not universal.

I found a good post by Kevin Jones, I think he covered most of the
questions you may have here: http://forums.asp.net/t/1459384.aspx

Hope this helps

Gregory A. Beamer

Here is a list of providers you can send to via email. As much as possible,
this is a good direction, as it is less costly than setting up an SMS
gateway.
http://www.mutube.com/projects/open-email-to-sms/gateway-list/

Then you use your normal email mechanism to send SMS, remembering to keep
messages short for these clients.

For other providers, you have a couple of choices:

1. Set up your own SMS gateway. There are some open source implementations
out there, none in .NET yet that I know of, however.
2. Work with an SMS gateway service provider.

The second option is a bit more costly in the long run, but generally far
easier to set up.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg