    being interpreted by the browser.

    Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Mark
    Mark, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Mark

    Jeff Boes Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I have a commercial website search script which is slow in returning
    > its results. The consequence is that for a short period the screen is
    > white until the results are returned.
    >
    > Is there a simple way to make the script return a temporary document
    > to the browser which is then replaced by the search results?

    Yes, there are simple ways to do this. However, they are no more
    Perl-specific than they are Cobol-specific. Rather than give you a whole
    solution here (and encourage more non-Perl-specific questions, drowning
    out those with Perl questions), I'll mention "interstitial pages",
    "browser redirects", and point you toward Google and the
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi newsgroup.

    --
    Jeff Boes vox 269.226.9550 ext 24
    Database Engineer fax 269.349.9076
    Jeff Boes, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Mark wrote:
    > I have a commercial website search script which is slow in returning
    > its results. The consequence is that for a short period the screen is
    > white until the results are returned.
    >
    > Is there a simple way to make the script return a temporary document
    > to the browser which is then replaced by the search results?

    I am guessing you are talking about a CGI program (you forgot to mention)?
    Then sure, no problem. In Perl you do it the same way as in any other
    programming language, none of your question is Perl-specific in any way.

    Actually this Question is Asked Frequently (hint, hint!) ... in the proper
    CGI newsgroups.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Oct 3, 2003