Send two documents to browser?

Mark

Hi All,

I have a commercial website search script which is slow in returning
its results. The consequence is that for a short period the screen is
white until the results are returned.

Is there a simple way to make the script return a temporary document
to the browser which is then replaced by the search results?

I tried making the script print some standard html code at the start
of the script and this seemed to do the trick but then a discovered
that my original document (which was simply a black background) was
not being replaced. The new document was being printed after the
first, resulting in the document headers being printed rather than
being interpreted by the browser.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Mark

Jeff Boes

Mark said:
Hi All,

I have a commercial website search script which is slow in returning
its results. The consequence is that for a short period the screen is
white until the results are returned.

Is there a simple way to make the script return a temporary document
to the browser which is then replaced by the search results?

Yes, there are simple ways to do this. However, they are no more
Perl-specific than they are Cobol-specific. Rather than give you a whole
solution here (and encourage more non-Perl-specific questions, drowning
out those with Perl questions), I'll mention "interstitial pages",
"browser redirects", and point you toward Google and the
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi newsgroup.

Jürgen Exner

Mark said:
I have a commercial website search script which is slow in returning
its results. The consequence is that for a short period the screen is
white until the results are returned.

Is there a simple way to make the script return a temporary document
to the browser which is then replaced by the search results?

I am guessing you are talking about a CGI program (you forgot to mention)?
Then sure, no problem. In Perl you do it the same way as in any other
programming language, none of your question is Perl-specific in any way.

Actually this Question is Asked Frequently (hint, hint!) ... in the proper
CGI newsgroups.

jue