Sending a file to the printer

matthew.n.connors

I've go some files (.doc, .pdf, etc...) that I need to programatically
send to a printer. I am working in a web based J2EE environment using
jdk 1.3. Can someone point me to a good resource to learn more about
how printing is done?

When I go to the Sun site all the documentation (Java Print Service API
User Guide, etc...) seems to be quite old and everything says "draft
copy". Is the Java Print Service the way I should be go? Is there an
alternative? Does anyone know where I can find some good code examples
to look at?

Thanks,
Matt

Andrew Thompson

I've go some files (.doc, .pdf, etc...) that I need to programatically
send to a printer.

You can deliver files to the user and suggest they print them,
but 'causing a print-out programatically' via a web interface
is extremely problematic unless the users are willing to invest
considerable trust in your site (signed applet, IE with privileges
set insanely high, etc.).

<my suggestion is..>
Give the user a web page, and instructions on where to find
'Print' in the browser menu.
</my suggestion is..>

matthew.n.connors

Let me explain more clearly ...

There are no security issues as I am working on the intranet. I have a
bunch of files that need to be sent to the printer programatically. It
will be done useing server side programming and the user will not be
involved in the process.

What is the best way to accomplish this? The only approach I can see
right now is to use the Java Print Services API. Has anyone out there
used this approach successfully?
- Matt