sending account info directly into paybill

Discussion in 'HTML' started by cwsullivan@ucdavis.edu, Feb 3, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi gang,

    I've been subcontracted out to help a client with their website. The
    client is a utility service and wants their customers to be able to
    click a link from their account info page in our website, and go
    directly to the paybill website.

    Currently, we simply link them to
    https://www.paybill.com/Common/PaymentMain.asp when they click on the
    "pay your bill" link. The client has requested that we make this
    process easier, they don't want the customers to have to re-enter their
    account information.

    I'm curious if there is a simple URL that I could link them to instead,
    something along the lines of:

    https://www.paybill.com/Common/PaymentMain.asp?ID=enterIDhere

    that would prompt the paybill website to load up their account
    directly. I can't quit figure out a way to do this myself. I was
    curious if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

    -Chris

    , Feb 3, 2006

  2. David Wright Guest

    > I'm curious if there is a simple URL that I could link them to instead,
    > something along the lines of:
    >
    > https://www.paybill.com/Common/PaymentMain.asp?ID=enterIDhere
    >
    > that would prompt the paybill website to load up their account
    > directly.

    Just one caveat of caution - beware that a URL like that could easily allow
    other users to spoof it with ID's that are not their own if they
    knew/guessed the ID format - unless you protect it with some other form of
    authentication.

    Pick it up in the subsequent asp page using the string Request.QueryString.

    D.

    David Wright, Feb 3, 2006

  3. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed writing in

    > I'm curious if there is a simple URL that I could link them to instead,
    > something along the lines of:
    >
    > https://www.paybill.com/Common/PaymentMain.asp?ID=enterIDhere
    >
    > that would prompt the paybill website to load up their account
    > directly. I can't quit figure out a way to do this myself. I was
    > curious if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

    As others have said, beware of sending data through a querystring, even
    to a secure server.

    You could contact Paybill and see if they have an SDK available. You
    might be able to post the entire bit to them, eg.
    <form method="post" action="https://www.paybill.com/script.asp"> where
    script is the name of the script that would process the information.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne Boswell, Feb 4, 2006