Sending an alert message to logon user in Web Application

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Pradeep Kumar C, May 20, 2004.

  1. Hi ,

    I am working on a ASP.Net Web Application which need some requirement as given below.

    Let's say two user's A and B. When a User A Assign a task to B , Then B need to get some sort of alert message with
    out doing any action by B in his web browser, which need to tell User B that user A had assigned him some task and he need to response
    back to User A at the same time by and acknowledgement saying he accepted the task or rejected. Here I can not use the
    Mail server feature.
    Here user B need to get the pop up/alert message at the same time when user A posted the Task.

    Is there any solution for this Problem.

    Note :
    We are using SQL Server 2000 as a database.

    Thanks in advance.

    Pradeep Kumar C
    Project Leader
    Cordiant Technologies (P) Limited
    Indira Nagar, Kochi, 682020, INDIA

    Tel: +91-484-231-1441 x12
    Fax: +91-484-231-0529
    cell 9847157714
    http://www.cordiant.com
    - Global Offshore Software Outsourcing Company
    Pradeep Kumar C, May 20, 2004

  2. Hi,

    you could use an IFRAME in your page that polls for activites every 30 sec
    or so. When user A posts an item, it copies it to a central queue which code
    executed by the IFRAME checks for contents. If found, the IFRAME could popup
    a div to user B.

    --
    Patrik Löwendahl
    www.cshrp.net - 'Elegant code by witty programmers'

    Patrik Löwendahl, May 20, 2004

  3. Hi Pradeep,

    As for your question on let the online user in the web application notify
    each other and let the receiver get message automatically without do any
    operation, I think Patrik 's suggstion is reasonable. The web application (
    no matter asp.net or asp or any other b/s techs) are all request/response
    mode in which the client has no persistent connection with the serverside.
    So if we need to store the message info at the serverside. And need to
    notitfy the user when there is any new updates in the serverside data. We
    have to let the client post back to the server constantly to query the
    datas. And currently there're two means:

    1. Constantly refeshing the page to post back it and query the
    database(store messages) at serverside and if there is new updates then add
    clientside script so that when the page response return client , the
    client script will popup a dialog to notify the user. And since constanly
    refreshing page will make the page blinking, so generally we use a hidden
    iframe (set width and height as 1 so as to make it not visible to user) to
    contain the refreshing page. You can also search on the web for such skills
    and it is widely used in online message board system(which have the
    functoin to let the online user to send message to each other:) ).

    2. As for the IE browser, we can use DHTML and script code to call
    webservcie at serverside. That means, we can expose a serverside message
    system intefaces(such as query and udpate) in an asp.net webservice. Then
    in asp.net web page, we call the webserice via clientside javascript to
    query the database on server so that we don't have to constanly refresh the
    page to post back it.

    Here is the related reference on DHTML webservice in MSDN:

    #About the WebService Behavior
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/webservice/overview.asp?frame=true

    Hope these help. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
    rights.)

    Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey
    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 21, 2004
  4. Hi Pradeep,

    Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
    you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
    there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], May 25, 2004