Sending email from ASP.Net with feedback and without stalling

Corvus

Hi, we have an ASP.Net web application where users fill out a questionnaire
and the the application emails them an employment report. The customer
requires the report be sent as an email, so we create a web page and send it
via System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send.

This has several problems; testing and the customer report that occasionally
the page that sends the email takes so long to draw, they give up and close
the browser window. It seems that System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send occasionally
takes up to a minute to return. No one waits this long, and it stops the use
of our app. This happens very rarely; I haven't seen it myself.

Occasionally people put in the wrong or a bogus email address. These get
bounced back to our postmaster, who has nothing to do with the project and
is getting irritated. We need some way to determine if the email bounces, or
gets another type of error, and respond appropriately.

Questions:

1. What causes System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send to occasionally take so long,
and can we get around this?

2. I was considering saving a request to send the email in the database from
the web app, and creating an application running on the server that monitors
the database and sends out emails when it spots such a request. Is this a
reasonable solution? Can I use .Net to do this or will I have to create a
separate application?

3. How can I detect if the email bounces or gets some kind of error?

Pointers to sites with information about such issues would be appreciated.