Sending email in multiple languages

Discussion in 'Java' started by Tara, Aug 10, 2006.

  1. Tara

    Tara Guest

    We're trying to send out HTML emails in multiple languages
    (English and Chinese (simplified and traditional)).

    The subject as well as the body may contain multi-byte
    characters.

    We're having trouble making the email readable for all audiences.
    Outlook (back to 2003)
    On English computer
    On Chinese computer
    Hotmail
    on IE with a chinese (simpl or trad) locale
    on Firefox with a chinese (simpl or trad) locale
    Yahoo mail
    on IE with a chinese (simpl or trad) locale
    on Firefox with a chinese (simpl or trad) locale

    So far we're base64 encoding with a multipart doc type and
    encoding with Big5 or GB1208 depending on the user's locale.
    (UTF-8 didn't work very well).

    Is there a mostly-universal way of doing this?

    Tara

    Tara, Aug 10, 2006

  2. Tara wrote:
    > We're trying to send out HTML emails

    That alone is a bad idea. Many spam filters assign an extra score to
    HTML mails. And a lot of people even immediately block mail with a
    text/html mime type. Many web-based mail services (you mentioned a few),
    do so, too. If it contains HTML, it smells like spam.

    > We're having trouble making the email readable for all audiences.

    Since you didn't care to give a more precise problem and error
    description, don't expect a step-by-step instruction on how to fix your
    problem.

    > So far we're base64 encoding with a multipart doc type and
    > encoding with Big5 or GB1208 depending on the user's locale.
    > (UTF-8 didn't work very well).
    >
    > Is there a mostly-universal way of doing this?

    No, MUAs are almost free to interpret and display multipart mime mail
    however they fell like. The RFC places only few requirements on the
    different presentation of different multipart subtypes. In addition,
    particular web-based services (but also stand-alone-MUAs - Microsoft
    products are notorious) can be very "creative" in interpreting the
    standard and don't support everything needed.

    /Thomas

    --
    The comp.lang.java.gui FAQ:

    Thomas Weidenfeller, Aug 11, 2006