Sending Email via Exchange Server from ASP.NET

Gilbert Cheung

Hello.

I am writing a website for my company. There is a sign-up form that requires
us to send a confirmation email to our customer. Our company uses Exchange
Server 2000 as our mail server. We decided not to implement any smtp server
as that may post some additional security risk. The question is, how can I
write an ASP.NET 1.1 script (in C#, though I think there is not much
difference between C# and VB.NET) that can send email, through the exchange
server, to our customer?

I have read a lot of materials concerning mailing via SMTP, such as the
System.Web.Mail.Message. I have came along solutions that requires an
installation of Outlook at my webserver, using Outlook.Application. I also
saw solutions that uses CDO.Message. However, as a beginner in C# and
ASP.NET, I cannot find one that solve my problem. They mostly requires a
virtual SMTP server to do forwarding outgoing email, or Outlook.

Is there any direct way of exchange/asp.net interaction? Thank you very much
and I do appreciate your helps and efforts!

Regards,
Gilbert.

Christopher Reed

Using System.Web.Mail, you can set your SMTP server as your Exchange Server
and as long as the Exchange Server will accept relayed email messages from
your web server, you should have any issues.