sending form variables to a different frame

Wee Bubba

my page is split into 2 frames. my upper frame contains a data entry
form consisting of asp.net textbox server controls. my lower frame
displays rows of data.

when a user clicks the submit button in the upper frame I want the
textfield contents to be validated then I want to send the form
variables to the page in my lower frame forcing it to refresh. my
lower frame will then get these variables, use them to insert a new
row then will redisplay showing the newly inserted rows.

can anyone help me out with the best most efficient way to transfer my
form variables from my upper frame to my lower frame refreshing the
lower frame page

thanks

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Complications like this are why you should try to avoid frames.
Usually you can structure your program better by segmenting sections of your
page into user controls.
If you must keep the frames you can use some client side javascript to
handle the situation. Here are some examples:

parent.FRAMENAME.document.form1.myhiddentextbox.value='test';
parent.FRAMENAME.location.reload(true);

Wee Bubba

Usually you can structure your program better by segmenting sections
of your page into user controls

i want my users to do data entry without having to wait whilst the
data is redisplayed each time. this is why i thought of using frames.
if i use user controls instead would there be a sacrifice in terms of
speed over the web.
i.e. i do not wanty my users to have to wait after submitting each
form as they will have lots of data entry to do

thanks for any more advice