Sending Mail via Extended MAPI

David Fraser

Hi

Does anyone have an idea how to send mail via the win32 mapi extensions
that come with pywin32? It's very easy using Simple MAPI, but
unfortunately brings up dialog boxes inn various versions of Outlook
with security patches etc. It doesn't seem obvious from any
documentation and the spambayes classes (which are cited as a good
example of how to use the mapi wrappers) don't ever need to send mail...

Of course it could be impossible and I could be going round in circles,
but knowing that would be helpful too :)

David

John J. Lee

David Fraser said:
Does anyone have an idea how to send mail via the win32 mapi
extensions that come with pywin32? It's very easy using Simple MAPI,
but unfortunately brings up dialog boxes inn various versions of
Outlook with security patches etc. It doesn't seem obvious from any
documentation and the spambayes classes (which are cited as a good
[...]

I think that's the idea. Microsoft's plan to is to make the API for
sending mail without user intervention so incredibly complicated and
pulverisingly dull that the even the virus authors can't be
bothered...

IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

John

David Fraser

John said:
Does anyone have an idea how to send mail via the win32 mapi
extensions that come with pywin32? It's very easy using Simple MAPI,
but unfortunately brings up dialog boxes inn various versions of
Outlook with security patches etc. It doesn't seem obvious from any
documentation and the spambayes classes (which are cited as a good

[...]

I think that's the idea. Microsoft's plan to is to make the API for
sending mail without user intervention so incredibly complicated and
pulverisingly dull that the even the virus authors can't be
bothered...

Which is of course a little frustrating :)
IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

I think this must be Outlook Redemption ... anyway we'll try and see if
we can implement what we need without them :)

Thanks
David

John J. Lee

David Fraser said:
John J. Lee wrote: [...]
IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

I think this must be Outlook Redemption ...

Yeah, that rings a bell. From the name, I guess I misremeber the API
it exposes, though...

anyway we'll try and see
if we can implement what we need without them :)

Rather you than me :)

John

David Fraser

John said:
David Fraser said:
John J. Lee wrote:
[...]
IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

I think this must be Outlook Redemption ...

Yeah, that rings a bell. From the name, I guess I misremeber the API
it exposes, though...
anyway we'll try and see
if we can implement what we need without them :)

Rather you than me :)

John

We have now discovered that pywin32 contains a win32com.mapi class which
wraps extended MAPI! That plus some finding C++ code that actually
manages to send mail via extended MAPI and we're nearly there ...

Just need to work out how to construct a PyADRLIST for the
PyIAddrBook.ResolveName function from that module which isn't clear from
the docs or the source or anywhere else ... but that looks like the last
hurdle. When its done we'll write it up as a Cookbook item or something

Cheers
David