    Of course it could be impossible and I could be going round in circles,
    but knowing that would be helpful too :)

    David

    David Fraser, Jul 30, 2004

  2. David Fraser

    John J. Lee Guest

    David Fraser <> writes:

    > Does anyone have an idea how to send mail via the win32 mapi
    > extensions that come with pywin32? It's very easy using Simple MAPI,
    > but unfortunately brings up dialog boxes inn various versions of
    > Outlook with security patches etc. It doesn't seem obvious from any
    > documentation and the spambayes classes (which are cited as a good

    [...]

    I think that's the idea. Microsoft's plan to is to make the API for
    sending mail without user intervention so incredibly complicated and
    pulverisingly dull that the even the virus authors can't be
    bothered...

    IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
    exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

    John

    John J. Lee, Jul 30, 2004

  3. David Fraser

    David Fraser Guest

    John J. Lee wrote:
    > David Fraser <> writes:
    >

    >>Does anyone have an idea how to send mail via the win32 mapi
    >>extensions that come with pywin32? It's very easy using Simple MAPI,
    >>but unfortunately brings up dialog boxes inn various versions of
    >>Outlook with security patches etc. It doesn't seem obvious from any
    >>documentation and the spambayes classes (which are cited as a good

    > [...]
    >
    > I think that's the idea. Microsoft's plan to is to make the API for
    > sending mail without user intervention so incredibly complicated and
    > pulverisingly dull that the even the virus authors can't be
    > bothered...

    Which is of course a little frustrating :)

    > IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
    > exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

    I think this must be Outlook Redemption ... anyway we'll try and see if
    we can implement what we need without them :)

    Thanks
    David

    David Fraser, Aug 2, 2004
  4. David Fraser

    John J. Lee Guest

    David Fraser <> writes:
    > John J. Lee wrote:

    [...]
    > > IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
    > > exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

    > I think this must be Outlook Redemption ...

    Yeah, that rings a bell. From the name, I guess I misremeber the API
    it exposes, though...

    > anyway we'll try and see
    > if we can implement what we need without them :)

    Rather you than me :)

    John

    John J. Lee, Aug 2, 2004
  5. David Fraser

    David Fraser Guest

    John J. Lee wrote:
    > David Fraser <> writes:
    >
    >>John J. Lee wrote:

    > [...]
    >
    >>>IIRC, there's a commercial COM server that wraps up Extended MAPI and
    >>>exposes a clone of the Simple MAPI interface.

    >>I think this must be Outlook Redemption ...

    > Yeah, that rings a bell. From the name, I guess I misremeber the API
    > it exposes, though...
    >
    >>anyway we'll try and see
    >>if we can implement what we need without them :)

    > Rather you than me :)
    >
    > John

    We have now discovered that pywin32 contains a win32com.mapi class which
    wraps extended MAPI! That plus some finding C++ code that actually
    manages to send mail via extended MAPI and we're nearly there ...

    Just need to work out how to construct a PyADRLIST for the
    PyIAddrBook.ResolveName function from that module which isn't clear from
    the docs or the source or anywhere else ... but that looks like the last
    hurdle. When its done we'll write it up as a Cookbook item or something

    Cheers
    David

    David Fraser, Aug 6, 2004