Sending SMS from my web application which is on a shared web host

Joined
Sep 30, 2006
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi everyone,

I have an ASP.NET/C# web application that is currently hosted with a shared/virtual web hosting provider (the code and database are all on the shared server). I want to be able to send out and receive SMSes via this web application.

I am aware that I can do this via a third party SMS service which I interface to using APIs. However my client wants to be able to use his own GSM modem and SIM card. This presents a problem because I can't plug in the GSM modem into USB port of the shared web hosting provider's server (they won't allow it).

My client's office has a non-static ADSL internet connection. I'm thinking of connecting the GSM modem to a server in my client's office and get the web application (which is on the shared web host) to communicate with the GSM modem. I would make use of Dynamic DNS to maintain a "fixed" URL.

My questions:

1. Is this a feasible solution? Is it possible for the web application to talk to the GSM modem on another machine?

2. Has anyone dealt with this kind of puzzle before? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.