    From: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    To: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    Subject: A relevant subject line
    Hey Wats up !!
    EOF
    close(SENDMAIL) or warn "sendmail didn't close nicely";
    kd, Sep 29, 2005

  2. "kd" <> wrote in

    > I am working on a program which uses sendmail.I found that the
    > sendmail directory was located at /usr/sbin/sendmail.

    Is that the directory, or the full path to the binary?

    > I try to execute the following piece of code. But the program shows
    > any errors nor executing it properly.

    Well, what are the errors it shows?

    > #!/usr/bin/perl/

    This is incorrect.

    #!/usr/bin/perl

    > print SENDMAIL <<"EOF";
    > From: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    > To: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    > Subject: A relevant subject line
    > Hey Wats up !!
    > EOF
    > close(SENDMAIL) or warn "sendmail didn't close nicely";

    Don't you need to signal the end of the message to sendmail by sending a
    ..CRLF to sendmail?

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Sep 29, 2005

  3. kd

    Shane Guest

    On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:35:26 -0700, kd wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I am working on a program which uses sendmail.I found that the sendmail
    > directory was located at /usr/sbin/sendmail. I try to execute the
    > following piece of code. But the program shows any errors nor executing it
    > properly.Could you please let me know what the problem could be.Thanks in
    > advance.
    >
    > - Karthik
    > =================================================== #!/usr/bin/perl/
    > use strict;
    > use diagnostics;
    > use warnings;
    > system('clear');
    >
    > open(SENDMAIL,"|/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t -odq")or die "Can't fork for
    > sendmail: $!\n";
    > print SENDMAIL <<"EOF";
    > From: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    > To: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    > Subject: A relevant subject line

    you need a blank line between your headers ^^ above and your body below

    Shane, Sep 29, 2005
  4. kd

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:00:11 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:35:26 -0700, kd wrote:

    >> open(SENDMAIL,"|/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t -odq")or die "Can't fork for

    Oh and.. should there be a pipe in your path?

    "|/usr/sbin/sendmail"
    ^^^

    Shane, Sep 29, 2005
  5. Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote in

    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:00:11 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:35:26 -0700, kd wrote:

    >>> open(SENDMAIL,"|/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t -odq")or
    >>> die "Can't fork for

    > Oh and.. should there be a pipe in your path?
    >
    > "|/usr/sbin/sendmail"
    > ^^^

    Yes.

    perldoc -f open

    perldoc -q send

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Sep 29, 2005
  6. Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 13:00:11 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:35:26 -0700, kd wrote:

    >>> open(SENDMAIL,"|/usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -t -odq")or die "Can't fork for

    > Oh and.. should there be a pipe in your path?
    >
    > "|/usr/sbin/sendmail"
    > ^^^

    Of course there should be.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Sep 29, 2005
  7. kd

    Anno Siegel Guest

    A. Sinan Unur <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > "kd" <> wrote in

    [...]

    > > print SENDMAIL <<"EOF";
    > > From: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    > > To: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    > > Subject: A relevant subject line
    > > Hey Wats up !!
    > > EOF
    > > close(SENDMAIL) or warn "sendmail didn't close nicely";

    > Don't you need to signal the end of the message to sendmail by sending a
    > .CRLF to sendmail?

    No, closing its input is enough. You need dot-on-a-line to make sendmail
    quit *before* it reaches eof.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Oct 7, 2005
  8. -berlin.de (Anno Siegel) wrote in

    > A. Sinan Unur <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    >> "kd" <> wrote in

    > [...]
    >
    >> > print SENDMAIL <<"EOF";
    >> > From: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    >> > To: Karthik <karthik\@kmail.com>
    >> > Subject: A relevant subject line
    >> > Hey Wats up !!
    >> > EOF
    >> > close(SENDMAIL) or warn "sendmail didn't close nicely";

    >> Don't you need to signal the end of the message to sendmail by
    >> sending a .CRLF to sendmail?

    > No, closing its input is enough. You need dot-on-a-line to make
    > sendmail quit *before* it reaches eof.

    I learn something new every day. Thanks.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Oct 7, 2005