separate .cs file for global.asax

Guest

Simple question: I have a c# asp.net project that was given to me. It has
the c# code within the <script> section of the global.asax file. I would
rather have it in separate files; e.g., global.asax.cs; So, I deleted the
existing global.asax file (there was nothing important in it yet), and went
to add a new one through VS2005. I chose the "Global Application Class"
(Global.asax) item from the list of new items. The "Place code in separate
file" checkbox option is DISABLED! WHY?
Thanks.

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

if you want to add a code-behind class for global.asax, you do it by adding
a class to App_Code (or into external class library) which derives from
HttpApplication and then associate this class with global.asax by specifying
CodeFile and Inherits attributes in @Application directive.

Guest

Thanks for the reply. I know this construct and have manually put this into
some files; however, I just don't know why VS2005 is being so stubborn. Is
there a project or environment configuration setting that I can use to turn
this on? The thing is that the option is ENABLED when I add a new web page,
but not when I want to add a global.asax. It makes no sense.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Larry,

Besides Teemu's input, you can also find related feedback here:
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?Feedba
ckID=104811. According to Visual Studio Product team, it will be considered
in future version of Visual Studio. Thank you for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

ications.