Separate Project DLLs

theintrepidfox

Dear Group

Apologies for this simple question. Would be grateful if you share your
opinion on this.

I've written a web application, compiling all classes into one project
DLL. Now I wonder if there are performance / resource advantages if I
compile some classes into separate DLLs and reference them instead. Any
articles, information on this? Advantages, Disadvantages? Will it slow
down the application if it has to reference a DLL?

Thanks very much for your help & efforts!

Martin

Karl Seguin

Performance isn't a factor...Disadvantage? You have 2+ dlls floating around
which might make it harder to maintain (assuming you are shipping a product,
which you likely aren't). Advantages? Better organization, reuse, less
bloat....

There's really no reason not to...but you shouldn't just do it for the sake
of it...hopefully there's some reasoning behind why they don't belong
together...

Karl

Eliyahu Goldin

It is not a matter of performance. It is a matter of your system design. For
example, if you organize your application in presentation, business and data
access layers, you might have all forms in one project, business classes in
another project and data access classes in another project. 3 projects, 3
dlls.

Eliyahu