Sequence of Events for Custom Control

Seth Williams

OK - I've created my first custom control, but I have a few questions.

First off - I know how to add it to the toolbox manually - so once I've got
that done, I create a web page, and double click on that control, to add it
to the web page.

I see that it's not included automatically in the BIN folder, and it is not
added as a reference (I can manually add the reference) - so when I deploy
the website, I'm responsible for adding it to the bin folder ahead of time?

I'm not sure what is supposed to happen for the website, when I add it to
the page.....

I thought it would be added automatically to the bin folder?

Could someone enlighten me here?

Peter Bucher [MVP]

Hello Seth
First off - I know how to add it to the toolbox manually - so once I've
got that done, I create a web page, and double click on that control, to
add it to the web page.

I see that it's not included automatically in the BIN folder, and it is
not added as a reference (I can manually add the reference) - so when I
deploy the website, I'm responsible for adding it to the bin folder ahead
of time?

I'm not sure what is supposed to happen for the website, when I add it to
the page.....

I thought it would be added automatically to the bin folder?
At the time you wire up the reference, the referenced assemly will
automatically copied to your bin folder.

Seth Williams

Hello Seth

--
Gruss, Peter Bucher

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by 'wire up'
I added a reference to the control, and it only added it to the web.config
file - it did not add it to the bin folder.

Peter Bucher [MVP]

Hello Seth
Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by 'wire up'
I added a reference to the control, and it only added it to the web.config
file - it did not add it to the bin folder.
Sorry, wrong word, i mean "add".
A reference sould do the work, so that the dll automatically copied in your
bin folder.

Seth Williams

Well - as you saw from my last post - I did that and it was not copied to
the bin folder that way, either.

Just to see if I was remembering things wrongly, I downloaded a company's
'lite' control.
As soon as I double clicked on it, it not only added it to the page, but put
it in the Bin folder

Am I missing something in my code, so that it's not recognized as needing to
be put in the Bin folder?