    kind regards
    Rahul

    , Oct 12, 2006

  2. said:

    > what are sequence points in c

    They are points within your program at which it is guaranteed that
    everything that should have happened (and in particular all the side
    effects) up till this point /has/ happened (or won't ever happen!). You get
    them at the end of expression statements, and at various other places as
    well.

    > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
    > much help...

    See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
    reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 12, 2006

  3. Tejas Kokje Guest

    wrote:

    > what are sequence points in c
    > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
    > much help...
    > Thanks in advance
    > kind regards
    > Rahul

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sequence_point

    Google is your friend.

    Tejas Kokje

    Tejas Kokje, Oct 12, 2006
  4. Cong Wang Guest

    On Oct 12, 2:13 pm, Richard Heathfield <>
    wrote:
    > > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
    > > much help...See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a

    > reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

    Your book "C Unleashed"? I like it very much. Thanks! ;-)

    Cong Wang, Oct 12, 2006
  5. Cong Wang said:

    > On Oct 12, 2:13 pm, Richard Heathfield <>
    > wrote:
    >> > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
    >> > much help...See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th
    >> > edition carries a

    >> reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

    > Your book "C Unleashed"? I like it very much. Thanks! ;-)

    You're welcome. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 12, 2006
  6. Richard Heathfield <> wrote:

    ("them" equals "sequence points")

    > > any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
    > > much help...

    > See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
    > reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

    Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
    from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
    presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 12, 2006
  7. Christopher Benson-Manica said:

    > Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >
    >> See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries
    >> a reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

    > Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
    > from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
    > presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

    Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :)

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 12, 2006
  8. In article <>,
    Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :)

    I've always found ISO 8859-1 quite understandable.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, Oct 12, 2006
  9. Flash Gordon Guest

    Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:
    > Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >
    > ("them" equals "sequence points")
    >
    >>> any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
    >>> much help...

    >> See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
    >> reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

    > Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
    > from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
    > presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

    There is now a link to a copy of it on the CLC wiki. I used the way back
    machine to find Dan Pop's copy and uploaded it to my site. If Dan
    objects (which I think is unlikely) I can remove it. Links to that and
    other versions of the standard are here http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/c_standard

    P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?
    --
    Flash Gordon
    Hosting the CLC Wiki on an actively maintained server as a repayment for

    Flash Gordon, Oct 12, 2006
  10. CBFalconer Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote:
    > Christopher Benson-Manica said:
    >> Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition
    >>> carries a reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

    >> Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
    >> from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
    >> presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

    > Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :)

    Where is Dan Pop when you need him? :)

    --
    Some informative links:

    CBFalconer, Oct 13, 2006
  11. CBFalconer Guest

    Flash Gordon wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?

    I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.

    CBFalconer, Oct 13, 2006
  12. Eric Sosman Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote:
    >
    >>Christopher Benson-Manica said:

    >>>Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
    >>>from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
    >>>presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

    >>Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :)

    > Where is Dan Pop when you need him? :)

    Writing a blistering critique of people who don't understand
    Section 8.

    --
    Eric Sosman
    lid

    Eric Sosman, Oct 13, 2006
  13. CBFalconer said:

    > Flash Gordon wrote:
    >>

    > ... snip ...
    >>
    >> P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?

    > I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.

    Nah.

    Lawrence dropped out for a couple of years, then popped up out of nowhere
    for a few months, and has since vanished again. (I hope he'll be back
    soon.) I dropped out for well over a year, and then re-materialised. Chris
    D disappeared for a while, but has returned. We hardly ever see Steve
    nowadays, but just occasionally, he sticks his head round the door to see
    what's going on.

    It happens. I'm sure Dan is fine.

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 13, 2006
  14. CBFalconer wrote:

    > Flash Gordon wrote:
    > >

    > ... snip ...
    > >
    > > P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?

    > I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.

    *** Error 341: "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is not a valid C identifier. ;-)

    Charles Richmond, Oct 13, 2006
  15. pete Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:

    > Flash Gordon wrote:
    > >

    > ... snip ...
    > >
    > > P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?

    > I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.

    I've been considering starting a rumor of his death.

    --
    pete

    pete, Oct 14, 2006
  16. Charles Richmond <> writes:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >> Flash Gordon wrote:
    >> >

    >> ... snip ...
    >> >
    >> > P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?

    >> I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.
    >>

    > *** Error 341: "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is not a valid C identifier. ;-)

    But it's a valid C expression, assuming appropriate declarations for
    zip, a, dee, doo, and dah.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 14, 2006
  17. pete <> writes:
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    >>
    >> Flash Gordon wrote:
    >> >

    >> ... snip ...
    >> >
    >> > P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?

    >> I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.

    > I've been considering starting a rumor of his death.

    Long may it be greatly exaggerated.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 14, 2006
  18. On 12 Oct 2006 22:49:53 GMT, (Richard Tobin)
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Richard Heathfield <> wrote:
    > >Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :)

    > I've always found ISO 8859-1 quite understandable.

    And it might make good drama too; after all ...

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    ..

    it has a fine cast of characters.

    Sorry, I couldn't resist.

    - David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

    Dave Thompson, Oct 23, 2006

    Dave Thompson <> wrote:
    [about the C Standard]

    > And it might make good drama too; after all ...

    [...]
    > it has a fine cast of characters.

    But not much plot -- I think that was left to a graphics standards
    committee.

    -Larry Jones

    I think if Santa is going to judge my behavior over the last year,
    I ought to be entitled to legal representation. -- Calvin

    , Oct 23, 2006