sequence points

ramasubramanian.rahul

what are sequence points in c
any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
much help...
Thanks in advance
kind regards
Rahul

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
what are sequence points in c

They are points within your program at which it is guaranteed that
everything that should have happened (and in particular all the side
effects) up till this point /has/ happened (or won't ever happen!). You get
them at the end of expression statements, and at various other places as
well.
any pointers to some resource which explains them in detail will be of
much help...

See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

Christopher Benson-Manica

("them" equals "sequence points")
See "C: A Reference Manual", by Harbison & Steele. My 4th edition carries a
reasonable explanation on p83, and again on pages 228-229.

Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

Richard Heathfield

Christopher Benson-Manica said:
Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

Yes, but ISO Standards tend to make lousy tutorials. :)

Flash Gordon

Christopher said:
("them" equals "sequence points")

Or, alternatively, OP can get the "from the horse's mouth" explanation
from 5.1.2.3, subparagraph 2, in the draft n869 standard. (OP can,
presumably, use Google to locate this document.)

There is now a link to a copy of it on the CLC wiki. I used the way back
machine to find Dan Pop's copy and uploaded it to my site. If Dan
objects (which I think is unlikely) I can remove it. Links to that and
other versions of the standard are here http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/c_standard

P.S. Anyone know how Dan is doing?

Richard Heathfield

CBFalconer said:
I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.

Nah.

Lawrence dropped out for a couple of years, then popped up out of nowhere
for a few months, and has since vanished again. (I hope he'll be back
soon.) I dropped out for well over a year, and then re-materialised. Chris
D disappeared for a while, but has returned. We hardly ever see Steve
nowadays, but just occasionally, he sticks his head round the door to see
what's going on.

It happens. I'm sure Dan is fine.

Charles Richmond

CBFalconer said:
I've asked a few times and heard zip-a-dee-doo-dah. Seems ominous.
*** Error 341: "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is not a valid C identifier. ;-)

Keith Thompson

Charles Richmond said:
*** Error 341: "zip-a-dee-doo-dah" is not a valid C identifier. ;-)

But it's a valid C expression, assuming appropriate declarations for
zip, a, dee, doo, and dah.

Dave Thompson

I've always found ISO 8859-1 quite understandable.
And it might make good drama too; after all ...

..

..

..

..

..

..

it has a fine cast of characters.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

- David.Thompson1 at worldnet.att.net

lawrence.jones

Dave Thompson said:
And it might make good drama too; after all ... [...]
it has a fine cast of characters.

But not much plot -- I think that was left to a graphics standards
committee.

-Larry Jones

I think if Santa is going to judge my behavior over the last year,
I ought to be entitled to legal representation. -- Calvin