Serial COM port driver

Fiesta

Hi All,

I am working on a project regarding the serial COM port. I have to
design my own protocol for the serial communication. In the protocol
there are some bits for Read/Write, address(bank, offset) and data to
be transferred.

Would anybody please tell me where I can find the Serial COM port
driver, especially the driver that provides the funcation calls/APIs
that allow me to call them by using my own protocol? Thanks a lot for
your help.

Gabriel

Fiesta said:
Hi All,

I am working on a project regarding the serial COM port. I have to
design my own protocol for the serial communication. In the protocol
there are some bits for Read/Write, address(bank, offset) and data to
be transferred.

Would anybody please tell me where I can find the Serial COM port
driver, especially the driver that provides the funcation calls/APIs
that allow me to call them by using my own protocol? Thanks a lot for
your help.
Please read
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.9

Gabriel

JustBoo

I am working on a project regarding the serial COM port. I have to
design my own protocol for the serial communication. In the protocol
there are some bits for Read/Write, address(bank, offset) and data to
be transferred.

I'm not quite sure what you are doing but, the first 31 character
codes of the ASCII character code tables (commonly called the ASCII
Chart) have almost all the codes you would need to make your own
"protocol." Many current com port drivers regonize these codes as
control characters already. (If put in the correct mode.)

Google on:
ASCII character code tables

The first hit was this:
http://www.lookuptables.com/

If this is for WIndows try posting in the newsgroup below and I'll
give you more info if needed.

comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

Good Luck

Fiesta

Thanks for your reply.

Now I am working on a project regarding serial COM port. I defined a
protocol (a command format). The command is either a 4-byte or 3-byte
packet. Inside the command, some bits are used for specifying the
command is a "Read" command or "Write" command, the address for
accessing the data in a target machine (via serial communication),
and the data to write into the target machine.

So now, I am looking for a COM port driver, which can provide me some
function calls/APIs, so I can call these functions or APIs and pass my
commands (defined in my protocol) to the COM port driver functions then
to do read data or write data actions in the target machine. And my
question is where I can find and download this kind of COM port driver.
Thanks a lot again.

Fiesta

Thanks for your reply.

Now I am working on a project regarding serial COM port. I defined a
protocol (a command format). The command is either a 4-byte or 3-byte
packet. Inside the command, some bits are used for specifying the
command is a "Read" command or "Write" command, the address for
accessing the data in a target machine (via serial communication),
and the data to write into the target machine.

So now, I am looking for a COM port driver, which can provide me some
function calls/APIs, so I can call these functions or APIs and pass my
commands (defined in my protocol) to the COM port driver functions then
to do read data or write data actions in the target machine. And my
question is where I can find and download this kind of COM port driver.
Thanks a lot again.

Gavin Deane

Please don't top-post. Rearranged.
Thanks for your reply.

Now I am working on a project regarding serial COM port. I defined a
protocol (a command format). The command is either a 4-byte or 3-byte
packet. Inside the command, some bits are used for specifying the
command is a "Read" command or "Write" command, the address for
accessing the data in a target machine (via serial communication),
and the data to write into the target machine.

So now, I am looking for a COM port driver, which can provide me some
function calls/APIs, so I can call these functions or APIs and pass my
commands (defined in my protocol) to the COM port driver functions then
to do read data or write data actions in the target machine. And my
question is where I can find and download this kind of COM port driver.
Thanks a lot again.

Standard C++ knows nothing about serial ports so your question is
off-topic in this newsgroup. Whatever solution you eventually use will
involve a platform specific API.

JustBoo has already suggested an appropriate group and offered to help
if you are programming for Windows. If you are programming for some
other platform you will need to ask a group catering to that platform.

Gavin Deane