serial I/O install fail -- DLL not found

Fossil

Just starting with Python.
Installed:
Python 2.7
pywin32-214.win32-py2.7.exe
pyserial-2.5.win32.exe
on a Home WinXP SP3 Toshiba laptop with 2GB memory. Open Python and
try to do simple I/O test and can't even get past first line.
Transcript below. You will see that
__name__ is defined as '__main__"
but path is not defined. Could this be due to creating the folder
holding the Python.exe being on the E: drive or for some other obscure
reason? The DOS path environmental variable includes:
e:\Program Files\Python27
Thanks in advance for for any help.
**********transcript*************

Python 2.7 (r27:82525, Jul 4 2010, 09:01:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win
32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "E:\Python27\lib\uspp.py", line 189, in <module>
from SerialPort_win import *
File "E:\Python27\lib\SerialPort_win.py", line 54, in <module>
from win32file import *
File "E:\Python27\lib\win32file.py", line 12, in <module>
__load()
File "E:\Python27\lib\win32file.py", line 10, in __load
mod = imp.load_dynamic(__name__, path)
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.Traceback (most recent call last):

Benjamin Kaplan

--

Python does not have true globals. At most, a variable is global to
the module. __name__ in win32file.py is going to be 'win32file'. path

The fact that you

Ian

Just starting with Python.
Installed:
  Python 2.7
  pywin32-214.win32-py2.7.exe
  pyserial-2.5.win32.exe
on a Home WinXP SP3 Toshiba laptop with 2GB memory.  Open Python and
try to do simple I/O test and can't even get past first line.
Transcript below.  You will see that
__name__ is defined as '__main__"
but path is not defined.  Could this be due to creating the folder
holding the Python.exe being on the E: drive or for some other obscure
reason?  The DOS path environmental variable includes:
e:\Program Files\Python27

Unlikely. Where I work we run Python with pywin32 across the company
from a network drive and don't have any problems like this one.
**********transcript*************

Python 2.7 (r27:82525, Jul  4 2010, 09:01:59) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on win
32
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> from uspp import *

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "E:\Python27\lib\uspp.py", line 189, in <module>
    from SerialPort_win import *
  File "E:\Python27\lib\SerialPort_win.py", line 54, in <module>
    from win32file import *
  File "E:\Python27\lib\win32file.py", line 12, in <module>
    __load()
  File "E:\Python27\lib\win32file.py", line 10, in __load
    mod = imp.load_dynamic(__name__, path)

The paths in this traceback are weird. If E:\Python27 is where Python
is installed, E:\Python27\lib should be where the files in the Python
standard library reside. Installed third-party modules such as the
ones above should be located in E:\Python27\lib\site-packages. It
would appear that some zip files were incorrectly extracted into this
folder.

Anyway, your problem appears to be the win32file.py in E:
\Python27\lib. This is a wrapper file that the isapi package includes
when creating an executable with py2exe. It doesn't make any sense
for it to be found in this location, and all it's succeeding in doing
is obscuring the real win32file import, which should be a dll at E:
\Python27\lib\site-packages\win32\win32file.pyd.

I suggest reinstalling, putting things into their proper directories
this time, and skipping whatever you unzipped that got you that
win32file.py file.

Hope this helps,
Ian

Fossil

Thank you, Ian. You put your finger on the problem. As I thrashed
around earlier, I had installed serial i/o pieces before the clean
install pieces of
pywin32-214.win32-py2.7.exe
pyserial-2.5.win32.exe
I did a complete de-install and re-install. Now the serial i/o is
functioning -- I'm still stumbling along with the typical mistakes of
a 'newbie'. Thanks again.
Chas.