    i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.
    I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.
    which hardware numbers can i take? how?
    tardas, May 21, 2007

  2. tardas

    Lew Guest

    tardas wrote:
    > i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.
    > I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.
    > which hardware numbers can i take? how?

    Please do not multi-post (the placement of the same message independently in
    multiple newsgroups). It fragments the thread and frustrates folks who are
    trying to help you.

    If you absolutely feel the overwhelming need to reach multiple groups, which
    you shouldn't usually, then cross-post (place the same message into multiple
    groups at once using multiple addresses on the same copy of the message so
    that all replies are seen by all groups).

    Usually it's better to pick the one group that fits. Read the groups' FAQs.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 21, 2007

  3. tardas

    tardas Guest

    On 21 Mayýs, 16:58, Lew <> wrote:
    > tardas wrote:
    > > i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.
    > > I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.
    > > which hardware numbers can i take? how?

    > Please do not multi-post (the placement of the same message independently in
    > multiple newsgroups). It fragments the thread and frustrates folks who are
    > trying to help you.
    >
    > If you absolutely feel the overwhelming need to reach multiple groups, which
    > you shouldn't usually, then cross-post (place the same message into multiple
    > groups at once using multiple addresses on the same copy of the message so
    > that all replies are seen by all groups).
    >
    > Usually it's better to pick the one group that fits. Read the groups' FAQs.
    >
    > --
    > Lew

    thanx lew. i know how to use groups.
    tardas, May 21, 2007
  4. Andrew Thompson, May 21, 2007
  5. tardas

    Lew Guest

    tardas wrote:
    > On 21 Mayıs, 16:58, Lew <> wrote:
    >> tardas wrote:
    >>> i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.
    >>> I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.
    >>> which hardware numbers can i take? how?

    >> Please do not multi-post (the placement of the same message independently in
    >> multiple newsgroups). It fragments the thread and frustrates folks who are
    >> trying to help you.
    >>
    >> If you absolutely feel the overwhelming need to reach multiple groups, which
    >> you shouldn't usually, then cross-post (place the same message into multiple
    >> groups at once using multiple addresses on the same copy of the message so
    >> that all replies are seen by all groups).
    >>
    >> Usually it's better to pick the one group that fits. Read the groups' FAQs.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Lew

    > thanx lew. i know how to use groups.

    You're very welcome. Glad I could help.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, May 21, 2007
  6. tardas

    tardas Guest

    On 21 Mayıs, 17:20, "Andrew Thompson" <u32984@uwe> wrote:
    > tardas wrote:
    >
    > ..
    > (re. multi-posting)
    >
    > >...i know how to use groups.

    > The evidence suggests otherwise.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Thompsonhttp://www.athompson.info/andrew/

    i know i did a mistake but there is no need to be wordy. This is a
    group that i can request for help. I have requested.
    tardas, May 21, 2007
  7. tardas

    Eric Smith Guest

    tardas <> writes:
    > i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.
    > I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.
    > which hardware numbers can i take? how?

    You're not concerned about your software working across various
    platforms? If you're sure it's only going to run on one platform
    (e.g., Windows), there are lots of things you can use.

    On most platforms you can get an Ethernet MAC address, but you may
    need to write native methods to do it. However, some platforms
    may have multiple MAC addresses, and some may have different MAC
    addresses under different circumstances (when connected wired vs.
    wireless).
    Eric Smith, May 21, 2007
  8. tardas

    tardas Guest

    > You're not concerned about your software working across various
    > platforms?

    Software should work across various platforms
    tardas, May 22, 2007
  9. tardas

    Eric Smith Guest

    tardas wrote:
    > Software should work across various platforms

    It's not going to if you do stuff like get the hdd serial.
    Eric Smith, May 22, 2007
  10. tardas

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:58:28 -0400, Lew <>

    >> i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.
    >> I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.
    >> which hardware numbers can i take? how?

    for Intel CPU, there isa CPU serial number you can get at via JNI. See
    http://mindprod.com/products1.html#CPUSER
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, May 28, 2007
  11. tardas

    steve Guest

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 03:34:33 +0800, Roedy Green wrote
    (in article <>):

    > On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:58:28 -0400, Lew <>
    >
    >>> i want to generate a number that is unique for a machine.
    >>> I decided to get hdd serial. But i have to find more than that.
    >>> which hardware numbers can i take? how?

    > for Intel CPU, there isa CPU serial number you can get at via JNI. See
    > http://mindprod.com/products1.html#CPUSER
    > --
    >
    > Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    > The Java Glossary
    > http://mindprod.com

    only if it is enabled in the bios.

    Steve
    steve, Jun 2, 2007
  12. tardas

    Lew Guest

    steve wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 May 2007 03:34:33 +0800, Roedy Green wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 May 2007 09:58:28 -0400, Lew <>

    >> for Intel CPU, there isa CPU serial number you can get at via JNI. See
    >> http://mindprod.com/products1.html#CPUSER
    >> --
    >>
    >> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    >> The Java Glossary
    >> http://mindprod.com

    > only if it is enabled in the bios.

    Thus your "Write Once, Run Anywhere" code becomes non-portable even down to
    the hardware level, much less the OS level.

    AFAIK there is no inherent unique identifier for a computer, at least none
    assigned by an outside authority with a promise of uniqueness. In the case of
    the Intel CPUID, the public reacted negatively to the proposal and it either
    died or went underground. Does the chip even still have it? Is it enabled or
    disabled by default?

    Looks like you'll have to create your own.

    --
    Lew
    Lew, Jun 2, 2007
  13. Lew wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> On Tue, 29 May 2007 03:34:33 +0800, Roedy Green wrote
    >> (in article <>):

    >>> for Intel CPU, there isa CPU serial number you can get at via JNI. See
    >>> http://mindprod.com/products1.html#CPUSER
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    >>> The Java Glossary
    >>> http://mindprod.com

    >> only if it is enabled in the bios.

    > Thus your "Write Once, Run Anywhere" code becomes non-portable even down
    > to the hardware level, much less the OS level.
    >
    > AFAIK there is no inherent unique identifier for a computer, at least
    > none assigned by an outside authority with a promise of uniqueness. In
    > the case of the Intel CPUID, the public reacted negatively to the
    > proposal and it either died or went underground. Does the chip even
    > still have it? Is it enabled or disabled by default?
    >
    > Looks like you'll have to create your own.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Jun 2, 2007
  14. Lew wrote:
    > AFAIK there is no inherent unique identifier for a computer, at least
    > none assigned by an outside authority with a promise of uniqueness.

    I think the nearest you can come is the hardware address in an Ethernet
    card - IIRC that's guaranteed to be unique, rather like the IMEI in a
    mobile phone. However, cards can be swapped, a computer may have more
    than one Ethernet interface or it may be using a modem and not have any
    Ethernet cards installed at all.

    Last but not least, there seems to be no way to access the card's
    hardware address within standard classes so you'd need to use
    non-portable native code to read it.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Jun 2, 2007
  15. tardas

    steve Guest

    On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:13:40 +0800, Martin Gregorie wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Lew wrote:
    >> AFAIK there is no inherent unique identifier for a computer, at least
    >> none assigned by an outside authority with a promise of uniqueness.
    > >

    > I think the nearest you can come is the hardware address in an Ethernet
    > card - IIRC that's guaranteed to be unique, rather like the IMEI in a
    > mobile phone. However, cards can be swapped, a computer may have more
    > than one Ethernet interface or it may be using a modem and not have any
    > Ethernet cards installed at all.
    >
    > Last but not least, there seems to be no way to access the card's
    > hardware address within standard classes so you'd need to use
    > non-portable native code to read it.

    sorry even the Number in the E card are not unique, there was a cock up
    several years ago, that resulted in several brands of card having the same
    sequence of numbers.
    That said , the number can be changed by a small c program, , hackers use
    it frequently to hide the nic address/number

    steve
    steve, Jun 3, 2007
  16. steve wrote:
    > On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:13:40 +0800, Martin Gregorie wrote
    > (in article <>):
    >
    >> Lew wrote:
    >>> AFAIK there is no inherent unique identifier for a computer, at least
    >>> none assigned by an outside authority with a promise of uniqueness.
    >> >

    >> I think the nearest you can come is the hardware address in an Ethernet
    >> card - IIRC that's guaranteed to be unique, rather like the IMEI in a
    >> mobile phone. However, cards can be swapped, a computer may have more
    >> than one Ethernet interface or it may be using a modem and not have any
    >> Ethernet cards installed at all.
    >>
    >> Last but not least, there seems to be no way to access the card's
    >> hardware address within standard classes so you'd need to use
    >> non-portable native code to read it.
    >>

    > sorry even the Number in the E card are not unique, there was a cock up
    > several years ago, that resulted in several brands of card having the same
    > sequence of numbers.
    > That said , the number can be changed by a small c program, , hackers use
    > it frequently to hide the nic address/number

    The duplication had passed me by (and isn't surprising) but I'd always
    thought the number, once assigned was permanent. I live and learn. Thanks.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Jun 3, 2007
  17. tardas

    steve Guest

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:58:33 +0800, Martin Gregorie wrote
    (in article <>):

    > steve wrote:
    >> On Sat, 2 Jun 2007 22:13:40 +0800, Martin Gregorie wrote
    >> (in article <>):

    >>> I think the nearest you can come is the hardware address in an Ethernet
    >>> card - IIRC that's guaranteed to be unique, rather like the IMEI in a
    >>> mobile phone. However, cards can be swapped, a computer may have more
    >>> than one Ethernet interface or it may be using a modem and not have any
    >>> Ethernet cards installed at all.
    >>>
    >>> Last but not least, there seems to be no way to access the card's
    >>> hardware address within standard classes so you'd need to use
    >>> non-portable native code to read it.
    >>>

    >> sorry even the Number in the E card are not unique, there was a cock up
    >> several years ago, that resulted in several brands of card having the same
    >> sequence of numbers.
    >> That said , the number can be changed by a small c program, , hackers use
    >> it frequently to hide the nic address/number
    >>

    > The duplication had passed me by (and isn't surprising) but I'd always
    > thought the number, once assigned was permanent. I live and learn. Thanks.

    The card is made as part of a formal manufacturing process , where to ensure
    manufacturing consistency , things have to be manufactured identically, once
    they pass the "burn in testing", the card "specific " settings are written
    to the EEprom. , it's the same with a lot of modern hardware.

    Steve
    steve, Jun 3, 2007