Serial Port Communications

Guest

I have a java application that I wrote that collects data from a
serial port on a laptop from a data collection device. Program works
well.

My bosses would like certain conditions to draw more attention than
just using the laptop's monitor. They would like two lights and a horn
to be controlled as well.

Tackling the serial input device was pretty easy, but I am not sure
where to start with this request.

1) I only have one serial port on the Laptop, but they want to control
4 devices (horn, light 1, light 2, data collection device). So how
do I handle that?

2) Where would I go to buy the other devices and what device would I
have my java program talk to in order to control them?

Thanks,

Larry

nos

A serial port can do output as well as input, so your pc can
send data to the same "data collection device" that you receive
data from now; check to see if this box can accept data,
and if it can control the other devices.

Leo Gaggl

Check out Dallas Semiconductor 1-Wire protocol. You can control up to
256 devices as well as sensors (that's from memory - don't quote me on
that) and there is a Java API for it. Works well and pretty easy to use
for the "software guy". If you are an electronics freak there is plenty
other solutions including add-on cards.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/1-Wire.cfm

Good luck,

Jon A. Cruz

Leo said:
Check out Dallas Semiconductor 1-Wire protocol. You can control up to
256 devices as well as sensors (that's from memory - don't quote me on
that) and there is a Java API for it. Works well and pretty easy to use
for the "software guy". If you are an electronics freak there is plenty
other solutions including add-on cards.

http://www.maxim-ic.com/1-Wire.cfm

I just ran across a reference to that this week.

http://diy-zoning.sourceforge.net/
http://haywire.sourceforge.net/ * a main one of possible interest
http://servomaster.sourceforge.net/

http://oww.sourceforge.net/