Serialization and data compression methods

Discussion in 'C++' started by Alex Vinokur, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    Alex Vinokur, Dec 18, 2004

  2. Alex Vinokur

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Alex Vinokur wrote:

    > Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique?

    of what?
    Rolf Magnus, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Alex Vinokur

    Alex Vinokur Guest

    "Rolf Magnus" <> wrote in message news:cq1gd0$tkf$05$-online.com...
    > Alex Vinokur wrote:
    >
    > > Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique?

    > of what?

    To transmit objects we should put them on a disk.
    To do that it seems that we should encode them.

    --
    Alex Vinokur
    http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn
    Alex Vinokur, Dec 18, 2004
  4. On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:50:31 +0200, "Alex Vinokur"
    <> wrote:

    >Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique?

    There is no "the serialization technique" ... there are many ways of
    implementing serialization. There are also many methods of data
    compression.

    What is it exactly that you want to do? And what does it have to do
    with the C++ language?

    --
    Bob Hairgrove
    Bob Hairgrove, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Alex Vinokur

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Alex Vinokur" <> wrote in message
    > Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique?

    They are used as one possible serialization method
    by some applications, those that need it. Other
    applications use some other technique, depending
    upon their needs. E.g. If I serialize some text
    for purposes of transmitting to a printer, I certainly
    don't want to compress or 'encrypt' it.

    This isn't really a C++ question, but a design question,
    perhaps better addressed in e.g. comp.programming

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Alex Vinokur

    > "Rolf Magnus" <> wrote in message

    > > Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > >
    > > > Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique?

    > > of what?
    > >

    > To transmit objects we should put them on a disk.

    Really? What about e.g. transmitting them over a network?
    To an output device?

    > To do that it seems that we should encode them.

    Why?

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Dec 18, 2004
  7. Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique?

    Yes and no.
    When data objects are big, or transmission time is costly, then
    data compression is applied. When 1200 Baud modems were the norm,
    everything was compressed to save transmission time.

    It is a time-memory trade off. You are trading memory size for
    compress and uncompress time. Only you and the users of your
    application can judge which is more important.

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    Other sites:
    Thomas Matthews, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > "Rolf Magnus" <> wrote in message news:cq1gd0$tkf$05$-online.com...
    >
    >>Alex Vinokur wrote:
    >>

    >>>Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique?

    >>of what?
    >>

    > To transmit objects we should put them on a disk.
    > To do that it seems that we should encode them.

    You only need to encode data if the data is sensitive
    and should only be seen by certain eyes. See also
    "cryptography."

    Many applications have been writing objects to the
    disk, tape, punched tape, etc., for many decades
    without encoding them.

    Thomas Matthews, Dec 19, 2004
  9. Alex Vinokur

    Jeff Flinn Guest

    Alex Vinokur wrote:
    > Are data compression methods used as the serialization technique

    Not 'as' but 'with'. See the boost.serialization library and the upcoming
    boost.iostream library by Jonathan Turkanis. The serialization library is
    independent of stream type, and the iostream library provides the ability to
    easily create compressed streams.

    Jeff Flinn
    Jeff Flinn, Dec 20, 2004