Serve CSV file in new window

rgparkins

Hi,

Really stuck with this one, or the fact that I have just had a baby
maybe mind mind is in meltdown and I cant figure how to solve this!

I have a list of users stored in session. These users are displayed in
a list on the admin web page and I would like to give the
administrator a dropdown of actions on this list. For example, print
this list, Email this list etc.

The print list actually creates a PDF document so the admin can do what
they like with it, so this is where I get hazy.....

How do I open this PDF in a new window on a form submit? For example
with a link thats fine, target="_blank" but the form is posted back to
the server and I realise that there is no way of doing this at the
server, so at the moment I have a literal js statement that is set
visible true and this opens the new window when the page is rendered
after the postback.. This strikes me as *ahem* "not the best way" for
example with popup blockers etc.

Is there a way to render the page to a new window? I was perhaps
thinking of creating a PDF HTTPhandler which would force a download
which I hope will not move the window from the orignal page? Is this
the correct way?

Any help appreciated

Many thanks

Richard

Aidy

Add the target attribute to the form.

<form action="your pdf creating page.aspx" target="_blank">

rgparkins

Hi Aidy

Hi Aidy thanks for your reply.. I understand that the web page in .NET
is contained within a single form element and I have many buttons and
links in this page as well as my dropdown & Go button to print labels,
print envelopes as options.. I cannot see how to add this target onto
just the dropdown and Go Button. I presume that if I add this to the
form element then all the buttons will form a new window?

Thanks again for your help

Rich

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

there is no way to make the decision server side. you need to do it client
side. client code could change the form target.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)