    1. Anonymous
    2. Basic
    3. Integrated
    PW, Apr 11, 2004

  2. PW

    Roland Hall Guest

    "PW" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    :
    : I have several ASP applications on my WinXP-Pro server. Typically I only
    : allow users to access my server on a demo basis. Once the system goes
    live
    : I remove their access and install the application on their own server.
    :
    : I now have a situation where a company wants to subscribe to one of my
    : applications and I host it on an ongoing basis.
    :
    : In the past I have given demo users "Basic" access to my server and
    created
    : a temporary user under the "manage" option, but now I want to give these
    new
    : subscribers only access to the directory where their application resides
    : and nowhere else.
    :
    : How do I set this up ? The only options are ...
    :
    : 1. Anonymous
    : 2. Basic
    : 3. Integrated

    Anonymous - anybody in the world can access areas where this account has
    authorization.
    Basic - username and password required to access areas where this account
    has authorization - authentication passed over the wire in plain text mode.
    Integrated - username, password and domain required [if user not using
    computer with domain account, user with domain account and same password] to
    access areas where this account has authorization - authentication uses
    token passed over the wire - user is sent an encrypted message that is
    created by the server with user's username, password and domain. Only the
    real user could decrypt the message and respond appropriately to the server
    so the server knows this is an authenticated user. I repeat, credentials
    are NOT passed over the wire.

    Basic and Integrated work similar, in that the user is requested to provide
    information. But, Integrated uses the information to decrypt message sent
    by server and Basic sends the credentials in plain text to the server.
    Integrated is better. Your users do not need to have an account in that
    domain because when they try to connect, using Integrated, they will be
    given a dialog requesting credentials. The difference to them would be that
    the domain is also not required.

    You set your security settings in IIS where you require authenticated access
    using either a group or user account just for that user. You also set the
    required rights at the file system level which must be NTFS.

    HTH...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */