Server Application Error - I have searched a zillion posts...

TimR

I am trying to create my first Web application in VS2005 and am pulling
my hair out!!!!

I cannot seem to get aspx pages to work from a locally installed copy
of IIS.

I am getting a ServerApplication Error and after reading a zillion
posts, I have tried the following:

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 with all current patches installed.
I turned off "friendly messages".
I uninstalled / reinstalled IIS
I deleted the ASPNET account "net user ASPNET /delete"
I re-registered asp.net "aspnet_regiis /i"
I open a browser and enter "http://localhost/iishelp"
The browser changes the address bar to:
"http://localhost/iishelp/iis/misc/default.asp"
so it appears that IIS is getting invoked.

I still get the message....

I have tried the same thing with 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost with
the same results.
I tried turning off my firewall, same result.

When I look in the system log I see no specific messages

The specific text from the error page is:
Server Application Error
The server has encountered an error while loading an application during
the processing of your request.
Please refer to the event log for more detail information. Please
contact the server administrator for
assistance.

I tried creating a WebPage using VS2005 that simply has a single label
"Hello World", and when I run it
from within VS or enter the url "http://localhost/WebSite/default.aspx"
directly into a browser, I get the
same message.

I created a simple html page and displayed it with
"http://localhost/WebSite/htmlpage.htm" and it works
fine.

Any ideas?

George Ter-Saakov

Well it does say "Please refer to the event log for more detail information.
Please
contact the server administrator for
assistance."

did you do that? did you look into NT event log. What does it say?

George.

sticky

vs2005 doesnt use IIS by default, it uses its own development server
BTW, not sure if this has anything to do with your problem, but try
running the web app from VS in debug mode (F5).

if you actually need to use iis:
do you know much about IIS?
if you dont, my guess is that you havent set permissions on the folder
that contains the web site.

create a simple html page, put it in a folder, turn that folder into a
virtual directory using iis. right click the folder, click security,
and make sure that IUSR_[computername] IWAM_[computername] and aspnet
user accounts have at least read access for the folder.
then try and access your simple html page. if it runs then its not IIS,
its your setup. try checking the permissions on your web apps folder