"Server Application Unavailable" after Framework 2.0 installation

Chris Botha

Hi, I've installed Framework 2.0 runtime on a 2003 Server that had Framework
1.1 installed.
If I run a 1.1 Web app first it runs OK, then if I try to run a 2.0 Web app
I will get the error mentioned.
If I do a iisreset and then do it the other way around then I get the same
error, so run a 2.0 Web app first then it works, but now also get the same
error if I run a 1.1 Web app.

The error also says:
An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be
found in the application event log of the web server.

If I know what logs they are talking about it would help, or even better if
someone has the solution.

Thanks.

tdavisjr

The Event Logs. They chould be in there. It would tell you what is
wrong. If all else fails. Uninstall and re-install.

Juan T. Llibre

When running IIS 6.0 in worker process mode, you need
to make sure that any 1.1 app is running in a separate
Application Pool than any 2.0 app and viceversa.

At the very least, you need 2 Application Pools :
one for your 1.1 apps and another one for your 2.0 apps.

You might want to have additional Application Pools for applications
which you want to protect against process recycling which involves
other applications in the same App Pool.

Chris Botha

You are so right, the second pool did the trick. When creating VS2005 Web
apps it creates them in their own pool so the issue is not apparent.
Thanks.