Server Application unavailable after reboot restart

Guest

I am consistently seeing the Server Application Unavailable message on XP
Pro, Server 2000, and Server 2003. Complete uninstall of the .NET framework
1.1 from add/remove programs and reinstall of the .net Framework 1.1 will
render my applications usable again, but after reboot, all ASP.NET apps fail.
Event log shows the generic aspnet_wp.exe could not be started error. The
suggested fixes by Microsoft e.g. "aspnet_regiis.exe -i " and folder
security options all have NO EFFECT. Only uninstall/reinstall works. XP box
is patched with .net 1.1 service pack 1 and XP SP2. It was suggested that I
might have a Group Policy issue, but I'm not applying group policy to these
machines. I called Microsoft and they said that I wouldn't get a call back
on this issue for 72 hours! Wow! That's rotten. Please respond if you have
seen this error and have a solid, permanent fix. I've seen all the
suggestions, and they are useless in their current forms.

Guest

After speaking with Microsoft I found the answer. I had erroneously applied a
group policy that was overwriting my local policy. After correcting, and
resetting security. ASP.NET works again.