Server Application Unavailable on hosted server, not locally though

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dalton, Jul 15, 2007.

  1. dalton

    dalton Guest

    I wrote a few webservices in VB .NET 1.1 and have verified they are
    functional on localhost. The website they are intended for is paid
    hosting (I don't have direct access to the server) that supports .NET
    1.1.

    After transferring the project to the site if I try to browse to
    the .asmx file it always comes up with the standard "Server
    Application Unavailable" error.

    Sometimes I have been able to get it to show me the available services
    by browsing to the site but after any change and re-upload I always
    have to go through an arduous guessing process for an hour or so
    before getting it to show the services again (usually by luck; I have
    no idea what makes it finally work).

    Can anyone tell me what is at play here? I hope there is a standard
    way to just update my web services locally, upload them, and have them
    available without going through hoops to change a hidden setting.

    Thanks,

    Dalton

    dalton, Jul 15, 2007

  2. dalton

    nahid Guest

    On Jul 16, 4:20 am, dalton <> wrote:
    > I wrote a few webservices in VB .NET 1.1 and have verified they are
    > functional on localhost. The website they are intended for is paid
    > hosting (I don't have direct access to the server) that supports .NET
    > 1.1.
    >
    > After transferring the project to the site if I try to browse to
    > the .asmx file it always comes up with the standard "Server
    > Application Unavailable" error.
    >
    > Sometimes I have been able to get it to show me the available services
    > by browsing to the site but after any change and re-upload I always
    > have to go through an arduous guessing process for an hour or so
    > before getting it to show the services again (usually by luck; I have
    > no idea what makes it finally work).
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what is at play here? I hope there is a standard
    > way to just update my web services locally, upload them, and have them
    > available without going through hoops to change a hidden setting.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Dalton

    hi,
    normally when i get this short of issue IIS restart some time help..
    if you have not big problem to reset iis do that...

    nahid

    nahid, Jul 16, 2007

  3. dalton

    dalton Guest

    > hi,
    > normally when i get this short of issue IIS restart some time help..
    > if you have not big problem to reset iis do that...
    >
    > nahid

    Thanks for the suggestion. Since this problem is happening on a
    hosted server I do not have the ability to mess with IIS or to look at
    the event log (which the error refers to).

    For future searches I should mention that this problem has been
    resolved. After submitting a support ticket to the hosting company
    they changed some settings on the server and I was then able to view
    the .asmx file.

    Dalton

    dalton, Jul 16, 2007