    it is pretty simple program, and I am thinking of using NIO .. What is
    the good architecture for such problem?

    what is de facto way to approach the design. Thanks
    puzzlecracker, Sep 21, 2006

  2. puzzlecracker wrote:
    > Client sends users name, server responds with SecretKey, then users
    > send the encrypted password. Server responds with ConnectionObject to
    > indicate the status. All the communication between client and server is
    > encrypted thereafter.

    The server responds by sending a secret key in the clear?

    I suggest using existing procedures/protocols/standards/code. See
    javax.net.ssl, for instance.

    > it is pretty simple program, and I am thinking of using NIO .. What is
    > the good architecture for such problem?

    I guess start by googling "reactor pattern".

    Admittedly, I don't have a copy of this volume, or have even read it,
    but "Pattern-oriented Software Architecture Vol 2: Patterns for
    Concurrent and Networked Objects" seems to fit:

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0471606952/

    Tom Hawtin
    --
    Unemployed English Java programmer